Author Topic: Illegitimate babies and finding fathers- where to being or when to give up?!  (Read 970 times)

Offline Rebaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to roots chat and to genealogy in general, so I'm hoping you might be able to either point me in the right direction or tell me if I'm wasting my time!

My Grandma was born 'out of wedlock' in 1939 and so far as any of us in the family knows, her mother never revealed the identity of the father to anyone. All we know is that she was in service at the time, possibly in a house in Scotland, but returned home to Lancashire to have the baby.

Do I have any hope of uncovering who her biological father was, and if so where would be a good place to start?

Many thanks in advance!  :)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate babies and finding fathers- where to being or when to give up?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Many people these days use autosomal DNA to narrow down the possibilities and there are Facebook pages specifically offering help for this situation. Good Luck, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate babies and finding fathers- where to being or when to give up?!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Rebaby,

Does the family know which house she was in service at the time, or have some sort of idea where it might be?

The census that she would have been in (if she was in Scotland) would have been the 1931 census (but you'll have to wait another 14 years or so to access it probably).

Your great-grandmother may have received a letter reference for her next employer from the house that she was in service.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Did your g/mother have a middle name as often that's a clue to the father?

Do you have any idea which part of Scotland she was living?

Were any stories passed down about events (in Scotland) while she was there which could help identify where?

Maybe the marriage of a friend or such like?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
welcome to rootschat Rebaby.

The year makes me think of the 1939 register.  If gm was born before it was taken and her exact birth date is known then she may be appear on it with her mum.  If born after then her mother, your ggm, might be on it and her address may yield some clues.  Not sure if 1939 register extended to Scotland though so this may be a non-starter.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Rebaby:

Have you inquired with any cousins who might have been told something by their parents (your grandmother's siblings, assuming she had any)? In my family, sometimes cousins (and their children) knew about secrets that were hidden from my direct ancestors.

Have you seen your grandmother's birth record, in case it named her father?

Was your grandmother baptized? If yes, her baptismal record might contain a father's name (and it might not).

Have you checked your grandmother's marriage record, to see if a father's name was given?

Have you checked the local newspapers in case your great-grandmother sued someone for child support? (It's a long shot but worth checking.)

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I have the same issue - gran only has mother listed on BC and no one knows or knew anything about her father. Oh and the name is Jones...cant be many of them around!!

Have been looking for four years now and have kind of accepted its something I am never going to know.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the birth certificate for grandmother, born 1939?

What age was her mother....your great grandmother, in 1939?

Who raised your grandmother?

How do you know that your great grandmother was in service at the time?