Author Topic: Birth Record for Thomas Hood born Hull 19th June 1826, please?  (Read 1783 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Birth Record for Thomas Hood born Hull 19th June 1826, please?
« on: Friday 09 November 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for a Birth record please, for Thomas Hood born Hull 19th June 1826, for parentage?

On Seaman's No. 12,069 Register Ticket, Issued at London 28th January 1845, he stated his Abode was:-
1 John Street, Drypool, Hull.

Check of John Street, Parish of Drypool in the 1841 Census for Hood reveals the following:-
Andrew Hood, 60*, Grocer, Birth Country S
Agness Hood, 40, Ind., Birth Country S
Cathrine Hood, 28, Birth Country S
Constance Reckitt, 5, Born in same County No

Cathrine Hood, Marriage
Believed the above Cathrine Hood, full age, Spinster married John Shennan, Draper, at Hull H.T. Church, 12th July 1846, by Licence, abode same as his 12 Prince Street. [amended]
Witnesses:- Tho's Hewson and Emma Hufton.

Cathrine Hood's Father Late ?Thoma Hood, Gardener

Hood & Reckitt deaths (ordered), Index as follows:-
Andrew Hood, September Qtr 1844, District Sculcoates, aged 73*.
Agnes Hood, March Qtr 1854, District Sculcoates, aged 59.

Reckitt
Constance Reckitt, death December Qtr 1847, District Pontefract, aged 12. [possibly away at the Quaker School Ackworth, but precise location unknown until confirmed]

Constance born 18th of 11th Month 1835  in the Quaker Meeting Records of the Counties of Derby & Nottingham covering Balby, Tickhill & Blyth, born in the Parish called St Mary's Nottingham. Parents Isaac Reckitt and Ann Reckitt (born Coleby). Residence Nottingham, Cornfactor.

Isaac Reckitt's Mother was Katherine Reckitt born Massey.

----------

I am particularly interested in this chap Thomas Hood as I believe him to be a possible relation to my Brickwall ancestor George Hood of Selby (marr. Selby 1815).

Mark

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record for Thomas Hood born Hull 19th June 1826, please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
he stated his Abode was:-
1 John Street, Drypool, Hull.

Hull was where he was living when the register was completed - it does not say he was born in Hull
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
1841 is transcribed as Wood on Ancestry for anybody looking
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole and All

Please see the first extract, it actually says Thomas Hood was born at Hull and date of birth clearly stated.

His Ticket was issued in 1845 when he was 19.

First went to Sea in 1841.

This Wood for Hood has been a nuisance throughout my life  ;D

I found the Hoods in 1841 by setting it to Census, putting 1841 -/+ 0 yrs date box, with road name "John Street" in commas with space 'Drypool' outside commas (address info in the box for keywords I think), on FindMyPast then went through the John Street Drypool pages manually.

Thank you, Mark

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for that oversight.  I have checked all censuses from 1851 - 1891 and cannot find an entry b Hull with that birth year.  As Andrew and Agnes were from Scotland I did the same search on the Scottish censuses - zilch

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Hood buried at Drypool St Andrew, 4 Aug 1844, age 73
Agnes Hood buried same place 17 January 1854, age 59
Abode for both Drypool

Agnes was "Ind" in 1841, so may not turn out to be Andrew's wife? Just an observation, not a prediction!
William Shennan, 34, Woolen Draper, born Scotland, is in Prince (not Powell) Street in 1851. Looks like he married in 1842 as Shannon (his father's details as per John in 1846)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for looking, I only have one of the main providers and I was hoping someone would try the other.

I'm drawn to this Drypool address:-

Because my Father and late Grandmother link us to Scotland.

John Hood, Tanner, of the Parish of Selby (my 3 X Gt Grandfather), married at Sculcoates 1846, suggesting possible Hood relatives there.

The next Seaman's Ticket was issued to a John Burn of Whitby same day, whose Father William Burn was a Master Mariner.

The Master of the Industry and the Adventure vessels sailing to Selby 1806-1807 was Burn (only surnames given in newspapers).

A Hood Will 1942 (badly typed Probate copy) refers to an "oil painting of Burns"

A John Hood, Master Mariner, abode Selby, born Scarborough (who I can't positively link to, no local Selby baptism) sailed the Industry from Hull 1781 to 1786, then the Centurion late 1780s, Agent/owner was Thomas Hewson of Hull for the Centurion.

Catherine Hood's Marriage was Witnessed by Thos Hewson. Thomas Hewson was the Hull Agent for the Centurion, Master was John Hood, Mariner of Selby (late 1780s in Muster Rolls at Hull).

My Brickwall ancestor George Hood of Selby (4 X Gt Grandfather) was buried by the Quakers as "Not in Membership" in 1845.

George Hood's Son George Hood, married Ann Marrison of Blyth, Nottinghamshire. Constance Reckitt's Quaker Meeting at Nottingham was linked to Blyth.

Isaac Reckitt Quaker, later in parnership with J. J. Colman, (Daughter Constance above 1st post), links to Massey of Wainfleet and my George Hood of Selby entered into a property purchase and Massey of Selby late of Spalding (Quaker) was one of the parties signing the release.

We are not Quakers, but rather interesting that our Mustard always had to be Reckitt and Colman's! I'd be sent back by my Mum (now over 80) if it wasn't R & C Mustard!  ;D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckitt_and_Sons

The Hoods of Drypool are not Quakers and yet they have a Quaker child with them?

Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Hood buried at Drypool St Andrew, 4 Aug 1844, age 73
Agnes Hood buried same place 17 January 1854, age 59
Abode for both Drypool

Agnes was "Ind" in 1841, so may not turn out to be Andrew's wife? Just an observation, not a prediction!
William Shennan, 34, Woolen Draper, born Scotland, is in Prince (not Powell) Street in 1841. Looks like he married in 1842 as Shannon (his father's details as per John in 1846)

Thank you jonw65

Yes, I had the 1851 Census of William Shennan, Woollen Draper, born Scotland, of Prince Street, Kingston upon Hull, already downloaded, I thought there might be a link to the Marriage of John Shennan & Cathrine Hood.

I'm very pleased you pointed out my indecision over Powell, it is Prince Street, on the Catherine Hood, Marriage Certificate, I can see Prince Street, now, thank you.

Possibly John Shennan might also be from Scotland.

Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For Cathrine Hood search 1811 to 1820, so far, there is:-

Baptisms,
Kathrine Hood, parents John Hood and Agnes Lang, 1814, Parish Cardross.
Catherine Hood, parents John Hood and Agness McKeller 1820, Parish Greenock Old or West.
Catherine Cowan Hood, parents Alexander Hood and Janet Forbes, Cranston, 1815.

Got to try her forename without an 'e' on the end of Catherine / Cathrine and starting with a 'K' too.

Catherine Hood's, Marriage entry seemed to say her Father was Late [?]Thoma[?] Hood, Gardener, when she married, so no match yet.

Sadly my Grandmother died in the 1980s. My Grandfather was long dead.

Mark

Added: What does anyone make of the Father's forename for Cathrine Hood, on the Marriage extract (in first post)?