Author Topic: Shot at Dawn  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Shot at Dawn
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 November 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
The National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas is one of the most beautiful, humbling and memorable places I've ever visited.

Martin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 November 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Really feel for you Carol on this one xx

I remember the stories my Pops used to tell me.. and they were not nice regarding this side of the war.

They were brainwashed into believing that the deserters were cowards and letting the side down.. No sign of understanding was allowed.. weakness not allowed.  etc ..

They were shot by their own men - who suffered what we now call ptsd for actually being made to perform this task........  etc...
My pops was hardened to it, but his eyes were full as he told the tales.   
Its funny this was really the only story he told me  - so I imagine he was close to someone or involved in someway .... who knows  .. He was in the Navy so not so easy to desert at sea.. 

x

take care
Xin

On reflection it could well have been stories he was relating to me via .... HIS fathers experiences...

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 November 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Some very interesting comments and information here and for that, I thank you all. He had his reasons for deserting, but he took them to the grave.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 November 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
There are some extremely distressingly poignant stories about a few of those who were shot at dawn on these two websites:

The phrase "Man's inhumanity to Man" comes to mind.

https://www.tommy1418.com/shot-at-dawn.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwone/shot_at_dawn_01.shtml
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 November 18 01:07 GMT (UK) »
There was an article recently in the Mail about one particular village, including the story of one man who was shot at dawn after going awol for the 5th time.  It makes very sad reading, especially his mother's comments.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n06/

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 November 18 07:11 GMT (UK) »
This very young soldier's court martial shows how many men were involved in the decisions https://owlcation.com/humanities/World-War-1-History-Private-William-Hunter-18-Executed-at-Dawn

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)