Author Topic: Shot at Dawn  (Read 1081 times)

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Shot at Dawn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 November 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that MJ....it makes very interesting reading. I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like for his family having to deal with the stigma attached to those who deserted and the circumstances of their death. Life must have been very difficult for his wife who would have been left destitute with two small children to raise  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Reading this article I find the attitude of Corelli Barnett beyond comprehension in the light of what we now know regarding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how it affects service personnel. He appears to have no sympathy.

I have been very lucky to find my mother's foster father's serice records for WW1 and before. He was disciplined for absenting himself without permission on numerous occassions and was probably fortunate not to have been shot at dawn. He had been in the army prior to the outbreak of WW1 and served in India. He was a trained, seasoned soldier not a young raw recruit.

He sadly died in 1927 in a military hospital suffering from conditions brought on by his time in the trenches.

A little bit of topic, so please forgive me.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
No need to apologise for sharing your relative's story Dorrie. Thanks for your interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 November 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
His court martial was held on 10 August 1917.  A death sentence was always reviewed by the Field Marshal Commanding in Chief who takes advice from the Deputy Judge Advocate General before confirmation.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 November 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look Max and provide that extra information...it's much appreciated. Their's can't have been an easy job either  :-\
Carol

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 November 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Central news came from the national arboretum at alrewas yesterday. They showed the shot at dawn monument. Someone described what happened. They took anything of them beforehand which could identify their unit. They also said probably people from own unit who did the shooting as it was meant as a deterrent. There was a doctor as part of the team who put the target round the soldier. The soldier was offered a blindfold but apparently most refused. There were a few other things they said as well.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 November 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
A sad story indeed Carol,as far as I'm aware all those shot were pardoned,it has to be remembered that
every story is different,men who had endured year's under fire simply gave up and were classed coward's
without thought or understanding as to what they had endured,other's were classed as "casting away
their arms" for giving up ground often by being ovewhelmed by superior forces,there were those that
went "on the trot" and were given second and third chance's before finally their officer's thought an example had to be made,how different from (quite rightly) the army treat soldier's in the later war
and we now understand the stresses of combat.Hopefully someone willcome along with an answer specific
to your relative soon.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)