Author Topic: MEARNS. Rev. James  (Read 1622 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MEARNS. Rev. James
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Birth of James Mearns 27 November 1842 Bourtie Aberdeen
Baptism 25 December 1842

Alexander Mearns 5 August 1844 Bourtie Aberdeen
Baptism 29 August

Father James Mearns mother Ann Reid

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly he isn't listed in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, or at http://ecclegen.com/

The 1881 census lists him as "Retired Schoolmaster Licentiate Of The Ch Of Scotd" suggesting that he was licensed to preach but never actually ordained as a minister. Many aspiring ministers started out as schoolmasters before being ordained to a charge.

In 1851 and 1861 he is listed as 'Schoolmaster of Bourtie AM" so he evidently did take a degree as Master of Arts (Artium Magister).

The Roll of Graduates of King's College, Aberdeen, lists in March 1823 James Mearns, Aberdeen, with a footnote saying "Sch Bourtie". There is another listing of James Mearns, Bourtie, on 1 April 1860, with a footnote saying "Sch Kinnellar". I take this to be the son*.

The Record of students who attended King's College and studied the Master of Arts degree lists in 1823 Jacobus Mearns, Aberdonensis, AM and in 1856 Jacobus Mearns, Bourtie, AM. Again, the latter must be the son*.

I think that "Aberdonensis" in the Record probably means the County rather than the city of Aberdeen, and that it has been simply transcribed as "Aberdeen" in the Roll of Graduates because the Record did not make the distinction.

All of which is a bit annoying because quite often the Roll of Graduates does tell you who the graduand's father was.

*In the 1861 census James Mearns MA, aged 18, was an assistant teacher at Woodville House Acadamy, Horton, Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire.

But interesting as all this is, none of it answers your original question. The death certificate should do that, and provide the proof you are seeking.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes probate record mentions the son James Mearns
Confirmation of Rev James Mearns sometime schoolmaster Parish of Bourtie afterwards residing at 3,Belmont Road Aberdeen died 22 October 1884 James Mearns schoolmaster Kinellar George Mearns
of Belmont Road his sons ....Rev William Leslie Davidson Minister Parish of Bourtie and Charles Brown Davidson advocate Aberdeen executors nominated in will or deed dated 1 August 1881 and recorded in Court of Commissariot of Aberdeen dated 20 December 1884

Rosie

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
From an obit. in the Aberdeen Press & Journal, 25 Oct 1884

" .... But, besides being a teacher, Mr Mearns was also a licentiate of the Church, in which capacity he preached with remarkable earnestness and vigour ...."

Offline MissPaddlefoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 November 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
To all you wonderful people who have helped; Thank you.
I'm glad I've got that one sorted
This James MEARNS was the 1st cousin 4x removed of my husband.

This James' parents were Robert Mearns and Isobel Nichol
I got the death printout via Scotland's People.
Thank you all
Miss Paddlefoot
Woodgate, Mearns, Owens, Jacobs, Griffiths. Creber, Alderton, Pollard

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 November 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
All sorted :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 November 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
That's good you got the information you were looking for  :)

Rosie