Author Topic: War memorials  (Read 627 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
War memorials
« on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
At this special time of year, War memorials the length and breadth of the land will have been cleaned and prepared for the historic centenary of the 1918 Armistice.

I found this picture of my Grandfather, Joe Beattie (in waistcoat and cap, front right of picture) with one of the many memorials he'd worked on, erected shortly after WW1. As a survivor of Passchendaele, I wonder how he must have felt, chiselling a stone replica of fallen comrades? I find it quite humbling, but I am immensely proud of him.

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: War memorials
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
A poignant photo, especially this weekend.

I'm sure that the craftsmen working on the memorials saw their work as an important task of remembrance, but at the same time it must have been tough for those who had served in the war as they would always have been conscious of the reason for their work.

The memorial in the photo must be a Scottish one - I know that the figures on war memorials weren't always unique to specific memorials, but it would be interesting if we could track it down!

Great picture and thanks for sharing it.

Rockford

BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

It could be the Fort William and District War Memorial:
https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/116844/

The one at Glenfinnan appears very similar, but has a pouch on the soldier's left side that does not appear in the picture of your grandfather.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Beattie & Co. produced over 100 war memorials across Scotland & Northern England. I expect each one was slightly different, though to a basic design. I have seen various pictures, not all wearing kilts. I don't know the significance of this one being photographed - maybe it was the first one they'd done?

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Don'r know if this link will work - some references to Scottish War Memorials.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=3361&highlight=&mforum=warmemscot