Author Topic: Information from the will of Hugh/Hugo Walley, 1598 in Sandbach  (Read 862 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information from the will of Hugh/Hugo Walley, 1598 in Sandbach
« on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Now that find my past has a free weekend this weekend, I thought I might make use of it.
The above person was one of my 12x great grandad's.

He made his will (I think) dated the 12th of September 1598 in Sandbach. This is a link to the original image of his will on find my past here:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f4012426%2f00765&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748096547

I can just about make out that his sons were called Randle/Richard, then there was a William and a John (possibly one other). They were mentioned altogether near the middle of the will.
Towards the end of the will he mentions his "eldest son", who was also called Hugh/Hugo Walley.
From what I can see he doesn't mention any daughters. He (appears to) mention his "small brother(?) Randle Walley." But I'm not certain about this.

What I am trying to find out please, because parts of the will are quite hard to read, is if he mentions his wife in this will at all?

There was a Hugo Walley who married Margeria (Margaret?) Yorke, in Sandbach on the 9th of September 1582.

But there was also a "Hughe" Walley who married an Isabel "Kinsie (Kinsey?)" in Warmingham which is only about 4 miles away from Sandbach. They married on the 25th of October 1584.

Hugh/Hugo was buried in Sandbach, on the 20th of September 1598. He has been transcribed as "Hugh" in the will, and "Hugo" on his burial transcription.

Apparently, Lightley Hill, in Sandbach belonged to these Walley's, and then many generations later, it passed on to the Parrott family:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CjhNDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=Lightley+Hill,+Sandbach&source=bl&ots=Ug-xEbiE6E&sig=BrZ3YR-DOJZvJ7YfN6c59ng5eYI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5pdL-2MneAhUJHxoKHY86BaEQ6AEwCXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Lightley%20Hill%2C%20Sandbach&f=false

Anyway, if anyone is able please to decipher more regarding the above of what is in Hugh/Hugo's will from 1598, I would be very grateful indeed.   :) ;)

Thank you very much.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information from the will of Hugh/Hugo Walley, 1598 in Sandbach
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if anyone else might be doing a full transcript for you, but for now here are the named relatives.

Wife – Isabell
5 sons – Hughe (the eldest), Randle, William, Thomas, John
3 brothers-in-law – John Shawe, clerk, Vicar of Sandbach (executor); Randle Whittacars (executor); Hughe Kinsey
Randle Walley is his natural brother.

No other relatives are mentioned, but there are plenty of other names, notably the debtors and creditors listed at the foot.

ADDED ...
Hugh/Hugo was buried in Sandbach, on the 20th of September 1598. He has been transcribed as "Hugh" in the will, and "Hugo" on his burial transcription.
That's because the burial entry is written in Latin. Hugo is simply the Latin form of Hugh.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Information from the will of Hugh/Hugo Walley, 1598 in Sandbach
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if anyone else might be doing a full transcript for you, but for now here are the named relatives.

Wife – Isabell
5 sons – Hughe (the eldest), Randle, William, Thomas, John
3 brothers-in-law – John Shawe, clerk, Vicar of Sandbach (executor); Randle Whittacars (executor); Hughe Kinsey
Randle Walley is his natural brother.

No other relatives are mentioned, but there are plenty of other names, notably the debtors and creditors listed at the foot.

ADDED ...
That's because the burial entry is written in Latin. Hugo is simply the Latin form of Hugh.

Hello,
Thank you very much for telling me the names of his wife, and sons. So this Hugh must have married Isabel Kinsey in Warmingham in 1584.

And Randle Walley was his "natural brother" then. I suppose it would have looked strange if he had written "little brother" haha!

Much obliged.  :) ;)