Author Topic: Did grandma get a ww1 pension ?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did grandma get a ww1 pension ?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
By way of comparison, the average weekly wage for an agricultural labourer in 1919 was £1 10s 6d (government source) so she was fairly near that if she received the widow's element.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD

By way of comparison, the average weekly wage for an agricultural labourer in 1919 was £1 10s 6d (government source) so she was fairly near that if she received the widow's element.

MaxD

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 November 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, a short while before my g.uncle was killed on 24 November 1917, he apparently said to his friend  "Well, look here George, if I should happen to be killed I should like all my property and belongings to go to my girl".  His friend asked for her address and he wrote it on a scrap of paper which he kept in his pocket book. After the war, the friend wrote a letter to this effect to the Captain of the 19th Hussars and this letter was attached to a form called Nuncupative or Missing Will sent to the War Office and made the will valid.

So "his girl" received 2 sums of money £14.15 as his effects and £19 as war gratuity as his sole legatee.  What amazes me is that "his girl" married at the beginning of 1919, before the payments were made.  I'm amazed that even if she was given his effects she was given the war gratuity, as in reality she was no longer his sole legatee.  He had 2 brothers and 2 sisters still alive at that time, but sadly none of his medals etc. were given to his family, even though his elder brother and sister were shown as his next of kin. I thought nowadays if a war widow re-married she lost all rights to a pension etc.

And it makes no sense in the case when in the case of jksdelver's gran she was ineligible for children's allowance.

Just a thought jksdelver - do you actually know if your grandma's husband was the father of your father?  If not perhaps that's why the allowance was disallowed.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the obeservatiosn Lizziew. Certainly the last paragraph !!!. Well her husband Arthur entered the war after my father was born. He is named on dads birth, and baptism as well. So of course nothing is certain only  DNA would have proved that.

One interesting story though, my grandad had no known grave. My dad passed away before grandma, when we went to tell her the sad news she said”well I know where he is” meaning of course that she didn’t know where Arthur her husband was.

Going back to your last paragraph, it would be a shame having researched names sake for what seems like hundred years would have been all wasted lol

Thanks again

Interestingly, a short while before my g.uncle was killed on 24 November 1917, he apparently said to his friend  "Well, look here George, if I should happen to be killed I should like all my property and belongings to go to my girl".  His friend asked for her address and he wrote it on a scrap of paper which he kept in his pocket book. After the war, the friend wrote a letter to this effect to the Captain of the 19th Hussars and this letter was attached to a form called Nuncupative or Missing Will sent to the War Office and made the will valid.

So "his girl" received 2 sums of money £14.15 as his effects and £19 as war gratuity as his sole legatee.  What amazes me is that "his girl" married at the beginning of 1919, before the payments were made.  I'm amazed that even if she was given his effects she was given the war gratuity, as in reality she was no longer his sole legatee.  He had 2 brothers and 2 sisters still alive at that time, but sadly none of his medals etc. were given to his family, even though his elder brother and sister were shown as his next of kin. I thought nowadays if a war widow re-married she lost all rights to a pension etc.

And it makes no sense in the case when in the case of jksdelver's gran she was ineligible for children's allowance.

Just a thought jksdelver - do you actually know if your grandma's husband was the father of your father?  If not perhaps that's why the allowance was disallowed.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you weren't offended, I was just thinking why your gran wouldn't have been eligible for a children's allowance, assuming, of course, that your dad wasn't passed school leaving age (14) when his father was killed.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »

Certainly not LizzieW. Any suggestions are always appreciated. Dad was born in 1915, shortly after the marriage !!!. I would like to think that she did get a pension and it’s the second amount. If she didn’t then I would wonder why?

Hopefully you weren't offended, I was just thinking why your gran wouldn't have been eligible for a children's allowance, assuming, of course, that your dad wasn't passed school leaving age (14) when his father was killed.