Author Topic: dna y test help needed.  (Read 587 times)

Offline David Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
dna y test help needed.
« on: Saturday 10 November 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
hi all

need some help regarding dna and the y test. i have been searching for my biological father now for a number of years. my adopted mother never told me his name even though she knew it and him. she is sadly no longer with us. but a converstion she had with my wife intriuged me and as such the search began, she said to my wife in one of her typical off the cuff this after first asking her how i was. " he,s a COLES you know , docile lot they were, kept pigs in ely(cardiff). wilf(thats my adopted dad) used to drink with his father,i never told him though". so i have through social media found what i beleave is the coles family line. how can i confirm i may be related to this family?

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dna y test help needed.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Firstly I hope you find all the info and confirmation to give you peace

My first thought would be to try an autosomnal test. The main reason I suggest this is that more people have taken these kind of tests and your chances of linking should be better

For the YDNA test you rely on somebody along that direct line to have tested. Then to analyse how far back and where in the line they fit. Unless of course you luck out and your father/grandfathers family have tested

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
You had a previous post on this person last year.  Did you follow up the suggestion in reply 2?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779775.msg6339705#msg6339705
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Please post just the one topic per family, this avoid research by members who may not be aware of the other topics. If you reply to old topics they do come to the top of the list again as a refreshed updated this also lets the members know that you have replied.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk