Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I am researching a Thomas Lennox and have been trying very hard to find his parents. Thomas was born abt 1834 in Ireland but married Jane Donnison on Aug 11, 1856 in Gateshead, Co. Durham, England. I don't have the marriage record to see if his parents are named. I have found the family in Heworth, Durham, England on the 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901 censii although Jane had died in 1897 (I  don't have her exact date of death or her parents either). I can't seem to bring them up in 1861. Tonight, on familysearch,  I found an entry for Thomas Lennox living in Heworth in 1851 as son,age 16,  so that means he was living with his parents in 1851 in Heworth. Would anyone have access to that census to see who his parents were? I would be so very appreciative if anyone could help me with this.
Thank you.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Living in Heworth Lane, Chapelry of Heworth.

Maria LENNOX, Head. Widow. Aged 48.Occ. A labourer in Prussiate Works. Born Ireland
Thomas LENNOX, Son. Aged 16. Occ As above. Born Ireland

No others

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic. Thanks so much. We at least have a mother so half way there. I wonder if there is an 1841 census, can't remember if England did one in that year.
At least, I now know that the family tree online with Margaret McLernon as Thomas' mother is incorrect.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. Thomas Lennox died Oct 24, 1903 and I have Gateshead, Co. Durham,  England but thinking it is probably Heworth, Co. Durham, England. Would his death certificate have his parents' names on it?
Peggy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:43 GMT (UK) »
She is accounted in 1861. With some amazing changes!

At Heworth Lane
Maria LENNOX. Head. Married. Aged 47. Chem Works Lab. Born Ireland
Gateshead, Heworth

Household schedule number 156
Piece 3798
Folio 42
Page number 28

No others.
Sue

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. Amazing. She is one year younger that she was in 1851, and now she is married! No wonder I am having so much trouble sorting the family out. Could she have married another Lennox, although that won't account for the age difference, only the marital status. When I have been searching, it seems there were other Lennox families in Heworth. But if she remarried to another Lennox, where is the husband? Confusing.
Thanks for your help
Peggy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. Thomas Lennox died Oct 24, 1903 and I have Gateshead, Co. Durham,  England but thinking it is probably Heworth, Co. Durham, England. Would his death certificate have his parents' names on it?
Peggy
If known to the informant. A great deal of room for error here.

I would be seeking an Irish marriage for Maria, if there was one at all. She and Thomas do not seem to be on 1841.
(others may have more luck)

Thomas named early sons James and Thomas.  They may be considerations for his father's name.

Sue

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
If that is her on the 1861, then there is only one death that fits:

Mar 1864 Tadcaster 9c 453
LENNOX Maria       

I can’t see her on the 1871, nor on the 1841.

I couldn’t see his birth or marriage for his folks in Irish records. I think they occurred pre record.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Peggy, you say there is an online tree, are there siblings for Thomas?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams