Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. Thomas Lennox died Oct 24, 1903 and I have Gateshead, Co. Durham,  England but thinking it is probably Heworth, Co. Durham, England. Would his death certificate have his parents' names on it?
Peggy

Gateshead Registration District included Heworth
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/gateshead.html

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo, for the help.
For Jamjar, did there happen to be a Thomas born abt 1862 to Thomas Lennox and Jane Donnison?
What site did you use to find the info on their children?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I didn’t see a Thomas: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

To answer your question, yes, to get birthdates would require cert purchases. There are some christenings for some of the sons on FamilySearch, though.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms for 3 of the children, all at Heworth St Mary (images from the Bishops Transcripts)

22 Oct 1875 -  Joseph
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n0i/

18th Feb 1874 - Nicholas
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n0j/

27th Nov 1871 - Thomas
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n0k/

That's all I have time to find tonight, it may be worth you checking the burial register images for the possible death years to see if there are any likely burials for the children who died.

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Boo. It is great to see the actual records.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 November 18 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I did not find any births other than the ones that you sent the links for but I did find deaths for Elizabeth, James born 1859, Mary Jane, Thomas born 1862 (which we presume belongs to Thomas and Jane),  and John born 1866. the ages at death are given but not the cause of death or the parents).
When I did find the birth of Samuel, son of Thomas Sr. in Ireland, his mother's name is given as Margaret McLernon, not Mary or Maria. The next entry was for Jane Lennox, daughter of Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox, so wondering if Margaret's surname was given in error as Lennox, although there were many Lennox-Lennox marriages. In this case, I think it was an error. Strange though that Samuel was baptised Nov 1825 and Jane Jan 1826. Twins? Late Baptism for Samuel?
This has been a lot of  work but I think we have sorted out the family.
Peggy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 November 18 05:26 GMT (UK) »
   According to Dave Bradley's website, Thomas's parents were Thomas Lennox and Margaret McClernon and that Margaret was in Durham in 1851 and died about 1860 (this is close to Maria's death in 1864). This would agree with another tree that seems to think Margaret and Maria are the same person. According to Dave Bradley on Geneanet, Thomas Sr. died in 1827 which would make it impossible for him to be the father of Thomas born in 1834. But on Rootsweb, the same Dave Bradley has an alternate date of death of abt 1845 in Magherafelt which fits the picture  better.
According to Dave on Geneanet, Thomas and Jane had children

Peggy

I have not seen the work of Dave Bradley and you have not said clearly whether any certificates are cited or viewable in this work.

I find the statements regarding her husband, her death, her whereabouts and timelines all very vague and therefore open to serious doubt.  Even her given name is not correct.

The fact that it agrees with another tree is possibly an indication that one has simply copied the other, again without verification.

You say in your opening post you do not have the certificate of marriage for Thomas LENNOX and Jane DONNISON.

Do you intend to purchase it?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Dave Bradley has done extensive work on the Johnston, Lennox, and Bradley families of Co. Derry, Ireland. He has work posted on Geneanet and on Rootsweb but no, there are no viewable certificates.
His work is great but needs to be verified by oneself. It appears that he has borrowed some info from other trees so there is room for error.
I have paid for many certificates online for Ireland but don't think I have ordered any for England before. If I did order Thomas and Jane's marriage, only the father would be named so wouldn't help with Margaret/Maria situation. The Irish certificates only name the father. I guess three records  might be in order - thomas and Margaret's marriage, Thomas' birth, and Thomas and Jane's marriage. Thomas and Margaret were supposedly married Nov 10, 1820 in Lisnamorrow so would need to hit the right church as civil records were not available in that time frame. I did find Samuel's birth at Wood's Chapel, Ireland when I was there in Oct  this year and it gave his parents as Thomas Lennox and Margaret McLernon. Samuel is supposedly a brother to Thomas Jr.  Perhaps his parents'  marriage is there as well,and Thomas' birth although I think Wood's Chapel marriage records only start in 1820.
By the way, I live in Canada so cannot visit any facilities in England.
Peggy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses on marriage certificates often give clues too. ;)
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk