Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 November 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I was looking into ordering the marriage record for Thomas and Jane but it looks like you have to get a 3 month subscription instead of ordering individual records. What is the best way to do this?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 November 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
There is no subscription required from GRO. You simply register and then log in to proceed. The instructions are here.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Once you are registered, you need the basic details  of the marriage which you will have from https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ and a plastic card.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 November 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Well, I ordered. Not sure why, as he is not in my direct tree but curious I guess. One thing I was wondering about, aside from what has been discussed here, is the name of Thomas Jr.'s father as wondering why there is no Edward in any descendants (Edward should be his grandfather). However, the name of the firstborn son is James and second Thomas. His Will was probated by James Lennox and James Donnison, as per online into.
The certificate is estimated to be processed Dec 4 and will probably take a couple weeks to  get to me, especially if the Canadian mail strike affects delivery. There are rotating mail strikes at the moment.
Peggy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 06:24 GMT (UK) »
I am sure many here will be interested in the certificate's contents, so do share when it comes. ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I will share.
Peggy

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Just for future reference Peggy, the GRO site also now has a facility to order a .pdf copy of death and birth entries (not an official cert but it includes all the info) for £6 rather than the £9.25 for a cert. They email within a week or so an give a link to download it. Saves a little money and is a lot quicker especially if you are outside the UK.
Sadly marriages are not yet included in this scheme, but I live in hope (and always complete the feedback and ask for marriages to be added if I order a pdf)

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
 That is good to know Boo.  I did feel that 9.25 was rather steep  and I would be OK with email.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
I ordered the death certificate for Maria Lennox on July 23, 2020 by phone from Leeds registry office. I am hoping it is the correct Maria Lennox, mother of Thomas Lennox, born 1834/35. I was told that it would be processed within 5 days, I presume working days. However, I am still waiting, as of Aug 31. Will call again tomorrow. I will also  call about the marriage certificate for Thomas ordered in Nov. and was to be processed Dec 4, 2019.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 25 September 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have received the death certificate of Maria Lennox who died in Parlington, Sub-district of Aberford, Yorkshire on Mar 10, 1864. Sadly, it is not the correct person. That Maria was the wife of George Lennox, Tailor Master, cause of death Morbus Cordis (will have to google that) and Sarah Cooper was present at death in Parlington. Maria was 52.
I am awaiting the marriage certificate of Thomas Lennox and Jane Donnison, expecting it in a couple more weeks. I had ordered it once before, but 3 months had passed before I enquired as to not receiving it, and so I had to re-pay.
Peggy