Author Topic: Betts in Metfield or Mendham baptism 1785/6  (Read 171 times)

Offline lintywhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Betts in Metfield or Mendham baptism 1785/6
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Would someone please be able to help me with a lookup for a baptism in Metfield or Mendham about 1785/6 for Matilda Betts.

I believe she was born to parents Robert Betts and his first wife Hannah Skirle/Skarle. Hannah Betts was buried at Metfield on 8th September 1786. Previous children for the couple had been baptised in Mendham but Matilda later gives Metfield as her place of birth in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

I have looked at the baptisms for Matilda's siblings in Mendham on Freereg but the last one is for John Betts in 1783. If mother Hannah died in childbirth it may be a case of Matilda being baptised at home in a hurry and no record may exist.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kind regards,

Jenny [Brisbane, Australia]

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Betts in Metfield or Mendham baptism 1785/6
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny, happy to say I've found what you're looking for, although I think it's the second wife. All of these are in Metfield:

20 November 1788 - Matilda dau of Robert Betts and Judith his wife, late Judith Butcher widow

Also earlier in the PRs:

5 December 1784 - Sarah dau of Robert Betts and Hannah his wife, late Scarl spinster
26 June 1787 - Hannah illeg dau of Judith Butcher widow, late Godbolt spinster
7 April 1786 - Daniel son of Robert Betts and Hannah his wife, late Scarl spinster

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lintywhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. Yes, Judith was the second wife. Because Matilda always gave her date of birth as around 1785/6 I thought her mother must have been Robert's first wife. Thank you for taking the time to look up all of these entries. It is very helpful.

Do you know if there are any plans to put Metfield baptisms pre 1800s online at all?

Kind regards,

Jenny [Brisbane, Australia]

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Glad I had what you're looking for :) I needed some early Metfield baptisms myself a year back and luckily they are all online at FamilySearch family history centres. I don't know about it being online anywhere else though.