Author Topic: Simpson - Clunyhill Cemetery  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Emg771

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson - Clunyhill Cemetery
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know where I can get more information on some relatives buried in Clunyhill Cemetery in Forres please?

I've found the below information on the Moray burial group.  I'm wanting to know if there's a headstone still standing and the birth and death dates for Kenneth M and Elsie. 

Stone No   Surname   Forenames   Maiden Surname   Death Year   Comments
1011   Simpson   Elsie   -   -   Infancy
1011   Simpson   Kenneth M.   -   -   Erected by. Of Villa Fontes, Portuguese East Africa
1011   Simpson   Kenneth   -   1913   -
1011   Simpson   Jane   Mackintosh   1928   -

Thanks in advance for any assistance  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson - Clunyhill Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
It's not an area I'm familiar with, but I came across some information via the Local Heritage Services page at http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_1537.html

Their online index (LIBINDX - link on page) gives access to cemetery and headstone records, and names found in newspaper reports etc. I think I found references to all the people you mention, with ages at death for at least some; the one for Kenneth M Simpson described him as a sugar plantation manager in Trinidad, and brother of Robert and Jean (whom I didn't chase up).

I noticed that there were several entries for a Kenneth Simpson, and I'm not sure if these are for multiple people or just one. Some of them seemed to refer to a rather colourful character...
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emg771

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks arthurk  :) that's very helpful.  I've come across the Moray LIBINDX before, I'll have to take another look as I didn't see where people were buried. The 'colourful' Kenneth is my 2x great grandad and has been a very interesting character to research!  I thought that the Kenneth M might be his son (my great grandad was his brother Robert),that's definitely the right one, he lived in Trindad but died in London and I'd not been able to find out where he was buried until now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Have a good look round there - in the left hand menu there's a cemetery search and a name search, and on each person/result there's a quick view and a full record view, which seemed sometimes to be different. In short, I think there's a lot of information there, but it didn't always seem very intuitive, and you might need to run a few different searches to find it all.

On Kenneth M Simpson, my impression from what you wrote first was that he might have paid for the memorial, but wasn't necessarily on it himself. Since he'd left Forres, he may well have died and been buried elsewhere too. The item I found for him at LIBINDX was a newspaper article (it said biography) from 5 Jan 1949, and I wonder if this could have been an obituary?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emg771

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thanks, I'll see what I can find.  I've only ever linked off from Ancestry to that site and couldn't figure out how to search for anything else! 

Kenneth Mackintosh Simpson left Forres and ran a sugar plantation in Trinidad, he travelled to England for the queen's coronation and died whilst in England on that visit. My dad remembers being told about it and I've found his death record from Middlesex 1953 which supports that memory.  It does sounds rather like he may have paid for the memorial (which would make sense as he was the only person with any money!).  Going to do some digging to find the the biography on him, sounds interesting.