Author Topic: Children on the 1939 census  (Read 1838 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children on the 1939 census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I saw an earlier thread saying that you cannot read the records for anyone born after 1916 on the 1939 census.  I cannot find my husband's aunt, born in 1924, but have found the record for my cousin, born in 1933, and two evacuees living with them who were also born in the early 1930s.

Can anyone explain this anomaly.  The aunt has died since the census was released. My cousin is still alive but I don't know about the evacuees.

Many thanks for any help.

Vanhenry.
That is simply inaccurate. I think the general rule is people who died before 1988 will be shown automatically, but I think there may have also been some matching to death records, as certainly in my family people who died after that are shown.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 November 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
That is simply inaccurate. I think the general rule is people who died before 1988 will be shown automatically, but I think there may have also been some matching to death records, as certainly in my family people who died after that are shown.

No, the rules are straightforward:
1. If the date of birth quoted is over 100 years ago, the record is shown.
2. If the record shows a death (in the area we can't see, filled in by National Registration or the NHS), the record is shown.
3. If there is other evidence of a death, such as someone providing a certificate, the record is shown.
4. FindMyPast are trawling death registrations and trying to match up the people. If they find a match, the record is shown.

Note that item 4 is error-prone, especially for common names. My mother's entry was shown for a while. I couldn't work out a matching death under her maiden name or married name, so I emailed FindMyPast explaining that while she was quite happy to appear, they might use this case to help improve their algorithm. Her entry was promptly redacted again.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
It is my understanding that if a person who was not registered with a GP in England and Wales died then the Register was unlikely to have been updated. i.e. if someone moved to Scotland and died there the Register was not amended because Scotland had/s their own system, similarly if one moved temporarily away from home and didn't register with a local GP then the death may not have been reported to their registered GP and consequently no form was sent to the LHA, who were responsible for updating the Register.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
It is my understanding that if a person who was not registered with a GP in England and Wales died then the Register was unlikely to have been updated. i.e. if someone moved to Scotland and died there the Register was not amended because Scotland had/s their own system, similarly if one moved temporarily away from home and didn't register with a local GP then the death may not have been reported to their registered GP and consequently no form was sent to the LHA, who were responsible for updating the Register.

Sorry but you are making false assumptions.
1) Doctors were not the only people who informed the NHS of deaths this was also done via the DHSS system and in other ways.

2) Although Scotland now has a devolved system that was not always the case. My  (genetic half) brother born in England on the 13 September 1939 and appears on the 1939 National Register.
His entry was amended in 1957 when he went to university in Edinburgh and registered with a doctor under our mothers married name (she had married my father in 1946 after divorcing her first husband). My brother died in 1958 whilst at university and appeared on the 1939 register when it first appeared online, even though he died in Scotland.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I stand corrected.
Thanks Guy.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
A relative of mine was a child in 1939. He emigrated to Australia when a young man. He has since died. His entry on 1939 Register is still redacted. His younger brother died in England within the past 5 years. The entry for the younger brother, who was a baby in 1939, is now visible.
Cowban