Author Topic: trying to trace any detail of my Dad's military service  (Read 846 times)

Offline Patricia Hudson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
trying to trace any detail of my Dad's military service
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
 I would love to find out any details - he was a maintenance electrician in civvy- not sure if that translated - I know he was posted somewhere - and contracted malaria, also ended up with something they called 'chinese foot rot' - mum said she believed from being in permanently wet footwear for lengths of time. As I arrived 8 years after his discharge and he was one of the don't talk about anything type - I know nothing else and everyone who may have know anything has passed.
 the only info I have is the discharge paper,
                           dated 1 May 1946, for release I think it reads 20 Jun 1946.
CH/X 111650. and of course his address on release.
            So Chatham Division, Royal Marines -
                           the date stamp has the words  L16 FOOD OFFICE included,

his details - Daniel William Hudson, usually known as 'Bill' -
                                                        dob 29 Nov 1924, he died 28 Aug 1966.

The only source of anything I've found so far is the GOV.UK who want £30 for what would likely be very scant if any details!Not in my budget as I'm one in the new void created by delaying women's pensions. Hope someone out there can supply information I have wondered about for a very long time - I was only 12 when he passed with cardiac arrest out of the blue - I'd like to know more about him.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: trying to trace any detail of my Dad's military service
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The only source of anything I've found so far is the GOV.UK who want £30 for what would likely be very scant if any details!

I don't know about Royal Marines records but the package of papers I got from MoD about my dad's army service was very detailed. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Like ShaunJ I have had a very detailed service record for a relative discharged about the same time.  If you that keen to know about his service, then £30 is a grand investment.

Offline Patricia Hudson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but seems my curiosity will have to wait - as indicated - I have NO income - for another ten months I am sharing hubbie's pension and this is something of a luxury spend. :-(

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat. I presume that is your Tree on Ancestry under newpatburrows ? Just asking so if I come across anything I don't repeat what you already have.
Regards
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Pat. Have you gone to http://gallery.commandoveterans.org. There is a "contact us" on the page. Perhaps contact them as they may have access to individuals records. It seems 40 Commando was involved at Dieppe, Normandy Landings, Sicily/Italy etc from googling "40 Commando". He could have had a very sobering experience by the sound of things.
francoso

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Francoso - where did the information come from that says he served in 40 Commando?
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
ON Ancestry.co.uk there is a Burrows/Hudson Family Tree by newpatburrows. Under Facts it states in 1941 "joined 40th Marine Commandos, home address 38 Asylum Road, London, England". The Tree also has his discharge certificate and family photos etc.
francoso

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Understood.

Pat hasn't answered your question about the tree but one could advise that she contacts all the other tree holders with him on to see if any of them have been able to afford to get the records.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia