Author Topic: Port of Aden 1939  (Read 652 times)

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Port of Aden 1939
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot, I know, but I am always hopeful .....

Can anyone please help with ideas how to trace someone of about 45 years old, who held a high position in the Port of Aden in 1939, was a  member of the RNVR and came from Sunderland.

I shall look forward to hearing from you .....

VDP
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PORT OF ADEN 1939
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
This link may be of help as Aden became a crown colony in 1937 LINK
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
This link may be of help as Aden became a crown colony in 1937 LINK

Thank you. I have read it through but there is no mention of the Port of Aden unfortunately.
VDP
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
If you have a name, tracing his RNVR record via the MoD may be the way forward.

But if you browse through the hierarchy of files you may yet find something interesting, perhaps under the Chief Secretary. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/7d807f72-ee39-43db-86ed-2812db614c35 However nothing is online so it will mean time spent in the British Library.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
If you have a name, tracing his RNVR record via the MoD may be the way forward.

But if you browse through the hierarchy of files you may yet find something interesting, perhaps under the Chief Secretary. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/7d807f72-ee39-43db-86ed-2812db614c35 However nothing is online so it will mean time spent in the British Library.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have no name which is my big problem.
Also, do you mean time at the British Library or at the National Archives? I shall enjoy going to either but just need to know!
VDP

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
British Library - see the top of the page here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7d807f72-ee39-43db-86ed-2812db614c35
Without a name I think you have very little to go on so would have to trawl through potentially lots and lots of documents on the off-chance that you found something.
However it could be that you could find something via the Admiralty series in the National Archives. Your man might just have been posted there as an RNVR officer to be the RN commander at the port, or to work within the RN port commander's team. I've had a quick search on Discovery with search term Aden, series ADM, dates 1938-41 and got 19 hits, some of which might be interesting.
I also thought about the Board of Trade series BT - that generates loads of hits and would need some careful refinement to narrow down the list to something manageable.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
British Library - see the top of the page here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7d807f72-ee39-43db-86ed-2812db614c35
Without a name I think you have very little to go on so would have to trawl through potentially lots and lots of documents on the off-chance that you found something.
However it could be that you could find something via the Admiralty series in the National Archives. Your man might just have been posted there as an RNVR officer to be the RN commander at the port, or to work within the RN port commander's team. I've had a quick search on Discovery with search term Aden, series ADM, dates 1938-41 and got 19 hits, some of which might be interesting.
I also thought about the Board of Trade series BT - that generates loads of hits and would need some careful refinement to narrow down the list to something manageable.

Many thanks for your reply - I am ashamed to say several months ago now. I have now managed to find my father so shall be closing this thread.
VDP