Author Topic: Tony Mcdermotts (Firm)?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Tony Mcdermotts (Firm)?
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about a firm called, Tony Mcdermott's around the time of WWI in the Shipley/Bradford area and why anyone working for them would be exempt from Military service? Thanks
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Mcdermotts (Firm)?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked up McDermotts in that area on the 1911 census?

An Anthony Allen McDermott shows on the index and is on Family Search but whether that type of occ would be exempt I have no idea

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n0h/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Mcdermotts (Firm)?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking companies so never occurred to me to check the census for an individual. My dad told me some thirty odd years ago, (I made a note) that grandfather, (George Ellis 1882-1945)) had apparently been exempted from military service and my dad thought it had something to do with working for Tony Mcdermotts. I know from the 1911 census that my grandfather was a, "House painter" and dad said he also painted the textile mills, so that fits nicely with the Anthony Mcdermott you found. Like you I can't think why the occupation would be exempted. Perhaps dad had got the story wrong? Thanks again.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,