Author Topic: Damaged photograph of brothers Joseph and Charles Higgins  (Read 2375 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged photograph of brothers Joseph and Charles Higgins
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
My try.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Treetotal - thanks for the dating info on the card. That does make sense because that would make the two men aged around 30 (charles) and 33 (Joseph). Charles was a seaman at this point in between his two stints in the army, and although Joseph was supposedly a lighterman on the Thames, he may have spent some time away at sea which is how they reached Philadelphia.

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter, it's much appreciated. Out of interest how long does it take to restore a photo with damage like this, and do you use Photoshop or a special software?

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest how long does it take to restore a photo with damage like this, and do you use Photoshop or a special software?

There are various software programs available and they can do a lot more than just repairs and restores. Photoshop has a few different versions, depending on what you want to do with it and how much you want to pay. It is pretty much the industry standard but being subscription based, works out a bit pricey for me. I use Gimp which is a free and open source program and the latest version is snapping at the heels of P/shop although P/shop still has a lot more bells and whistles.
I don't tend to time myself, but I guess this one took me about 30-45 minutes but I'm not particularly quick. Easy fixes can take 5-10 minutes but on some more complex ones, I have spent 5-6 hours or more! Its very addictive  :)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »

In my case I had an old family photo but had no idea who the people in it were. In February of last year I found out they were my great grandfather and his daughters.  So I had to get the photo repaired. I then discovered my laptop had come preloaded with a dodgy years old version of Photoshop Elements (that’s the non-professional version). So I set about learning it so I could repair my photo. Then my hard drive crashed taking the dodgy PE with it. I tried Gimp but I was by then too used to PE so I bought a new version of it (Aus$120).

As Andy says there are plenty of competing programs, basically with similar tools, set up in different ways. Think of it as like being a carpenter, in the end it depends more on the skills and styles you develop than the brand of tools you use.

I think I’m slower than Andy. I took over an hour on your photo, mainly trying to get the damaged eyes right.

And, again as Andy says, it becomes very addictive. Ever since I worked on that photo of my relatives I haven’t been able to stop!

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, I will give it a go myself one day.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi deejayEn, A try from me too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol. I like the vignette effect on the edges.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
You very are welcome  :)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU