Author Topic: Tracing an ancestor from Paisley, Renfrewshire  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing an ancestor from Paisley, Renfrewshire
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a possible relative by marriage.  My uncle William Hamilton Russell born Glasgow 1919 possibly married an Agnes Boyd Kerr from Paisley, date would be 1942.  I have no documentation but would hope someone recognizes the names.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an ancestor from Paisley, Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for a marriage on Scotlands People?  The index is showing one for those names in 1942.  You can buy credits and download a copy if you are looking for his/her parents details

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on Scotland's People but you'll need to buy credits to view it

Ref is 573/1 463

WILLIAM HAMILTON RUSSELL
AGNES BOYD KERR

Married 1942 in Paisley

Hope that helps :)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Death 2007

RUSSELL AGNES BOYD 85 (b c1922)
CLARK (mms)
646/ 951 Paisley (Renfrew)

Birth

KERR AGNES BOYD 1922
573/1 1009 Paisley

Possible parents marriage?

KERR JOHN & CLARK MARY 1916
573/1 419
Paisley

All can be confirmed by the marriage suggested by Carole & Ann

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info on Scotlands People.  Only problem is that I don't know for sure if Agnes Kerr is the lady he married.  I know my uncle was in WW2, I have a photograph of him and his wife but not a name for her.  My family are mostly gone now, especially those who would know the history.  I checked on the records site and just put in a date when I thought he would have been married.  As my uncle was born in 1919 he would have been 20 in 1939.  I put a parameter down and Agnes Boyd Kerr came up married in 1942.  I don't have a death recorded for my uncle which makes this all the more difficult.  I was hoping someone from her side of the family may be on Rootschat and would spot my message.  Thank you again for your replies.

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
The wedding record from Scotlands People will show both parents for William which should let you confirm that he is actually your uncle?
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 03:22 GMT (UK) »
The wedding record from Scotlands People will show both parents for William which should let you confirm that he is actually your uncle?

Precisely.

William Hamilton Russell born Glasgow 1919 possibly married an Agnes Boyd Kerr from Paisley, date would be 1942.  I have no documentation but would hope someone recognizes the names.

Who are his parents & what info. do you have for them in Scotland with dates please & ditto with siblings names/dates/places (born) as their births if born in Scotland will show both parents with marriage date & mothers' maiden name which would show on the marriage we've directed you to?

What is the reference to your uncles' age in 1939, was this from the English 1939 Register?

What were the names of any children your uncle had (in order of birth), do they correspond with the parents you have of William Hamilton Russell?

A purchase of credits for scotlandspeople.gov.uk is less than the price of a cert. bought in England/Ireland/Wales & will get you previous genuine records forbye.
Cheapest batch of credits £7.50 for 30 credits & any BMD or Census costs 6 credits but there are other records i.e. Valuation Rolls 2 credits & Wills 10 credits i.e. a lot for less than 1 English cert. & not forgetting Scottish BMDs give far more info. than any other UK certs.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline johncairns53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Re your Search  For William Hamilton  Russell  can  you tell me his Mums Maiden Name  so I can help further with your Search  Helen

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
My uncles mother's name was Margaret Hamilton, my grandfather was Robert Welsh Russell.  The marriage certificate to Agnes Kerr does not match my grandparents names unfortunately. 
William Hamilton Russell was born 1919 in Camlachie, Glasgow.  He was the youngest of the three brothers, one brother being my father.  William is the only one I can't trace.  He moved to Ireland for a few years with my grandmother then came back to Glasgow around 1931/32.  I know nothing of his life since that time.  All I have is a photograph of him and a lady, I presumed was his wife.  He may have remained single throughout his life, I really don't know.  I don't have a date for his death.  Not much help really, but I thank you all for your interest.  This us one ancestor I may never have the full story.