Author Topic: Where is this place?? Milncroft  (Read 883 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is this place?? Milncroft
« on: Sunday 11 November 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My great great grandparents, John Monaghan and Elizabeth Mills (both from Fermanagh in Ireland) got married in Glasgow in 1883. They both resided at a place I think is called 'Milncroft' in shettleston. I've never heard of this place and can't find much online. Does anyone know where this was or why my ancestors both lived there before their marriage? Was it a typical place for the Irish? What would have attracted them there?

Thanks!
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this place??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Others may know more, but there are various mentions in newspapers of Milncroft, as a print/dye-works, including this advertisement in the Glasgow Herald, Wednesday, May 13, 1874. It mentions workers' cottages, so perhaps your ancestors lived in the cottages? At the time a William GILCHRIST, dyer of Milncroft was bankrupt.

There is also this advertisment in 1888 :
"Private Retreat - Milncroft House by Shettleston, receive One of Two Patients mentally or otherwise affected - W. Black."

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Thursday, September 13, 1888

though I'm sure your couple weren't patients!  :)

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this place??
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Milncroft as was, was a small settlement adjacent to the Monkland Canal, neither of which now exist at the location due to the construction of the M8 Motorway, and housebuilding.
Milncroft was located at the West end of what is now Longstone Road in Glasgow, adjacent to the M8, approximately 1mile North of Shettleston Station

If you visit the NLS Maps website, Milncroft is shown on the 6in 1888 - 1913 OS map.

Istrice

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this place?? Milncroft
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Milncroft is in what is now Ruchazie, probably originally a connection to Provan Mill.

Skoosh.