Author Topic: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery  (Read 4310 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery, sent to Australia
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 November 18 05:12 GMT (UK) »
 :D  :D Yes,  and elsewhere in that same edition of that newspaper, there is a report of a sermon with that text as it's theme,  :D that had been preached that very week  :) by Rev Erskine, a Wesleyan Missionary.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2181456

1821 ... Howe ...  publishers of the Gazette were staunch Wesleyans  :) http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/howe-robert-2252 he experienced a spiritual awakening and, in his own words, was 'wonderfully and mercifully visited by God and snatched from infamy in this world and Hell in the next'. He joined the group of Methodists who were working in Sydney and their influence, particularly that of Rev. Ralph Mansfield, was apparent when he published The Australian Magazine; or, Compendium of Religious, Literary, and Miscellaneous Intelligence, the first periodical to appear in Australia. The first number appeared in May 1821 and the publication continued until September 1822

It is likely that if there's any innuendo in the cutting re Thomas Rushton's death that it is editorial.  The report of the inquest out at Cumberland may not have reached the Gazette office in Sydney in time for publication on 22 November, 1822.  The usual way to reach Parramatta in 1822 was via the river rather than by the deteriorating road on horse  :)

JM  (some of my ancestors were Wesleyans in Sydney in that era).
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 November 18 05:51 GMT (UK) »
At the following link is mention of a book written by John MORGAN and the voyage of HMS Calcutta with convicts including the famous William BUCKLEY from Macclesfield ... perhaps there's a connection with the Morgan family who funded the reinterment of Thomas at Rookwood in 1901. 

https://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_ship_calcutta_1803.htm

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
I understand the Morgans who had Thomas reburied were descendants of Thomas Rushton's daughter Mary Ann who came to Australia in 1827. We are descendants of Henrietta (Harriet) who came to Australia in 1815. Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Have you found a headstone for Thomas at Rookwood? 

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:36 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had a chance to get to Rookwood yet. I'm in Brisbane, 600 miles or so from Sydney.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
There are several RChatters who are regulars on the Australia board with offline resources including transcripts of many of the headstones at Rookwood  :).

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Should I make a separate mention of that elsewhere then? I'm new at this, but I can't imagine a headstone will tell us much more than a birth year, and we already have four of them to choose from lol

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:57 GMT (UK) »
He was reburied in a vault in the Rookwood Anglican section, but the Australian Cemeteries Index does not have any Rushtons for that cemetery. Perhaps there is no separate headstone for him. Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 November 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
It may include "son of ...... and ....."   :)

Simply start a new thread on the Australia board, asking for a LOOK UP headstone transcript ROOKWOOD Cemetery as the topic heading and then explain you are hoping the transcription would be for Thomas RUSHTON who was interred Devonshire St Cemetery November 1822, and reinterred to Rookwood and the details for Rookwood are:

http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/deceased-search-engine
Zone B   AAA   554

and mention that your request refers a search as part of the following thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803487.0

RED Post,  if you don't ask you will never know.   SAG CD may well have the transcript  :)

:)  :)

JM