Author Topic: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery  (Read 4294 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery, sent to Australia
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 November 18 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few of my ancestors were reinterred at various cemeteries from Devonshire St  :)  Australian Cemeteries Index misses some of them.  But their details have been found on headstones/footstones or even on shared headstones/footstones with others interred in same plot/double plot/vault/monument.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 November 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Did Thomas died in November 1822?  There was an Inquest 21 November 1822.

Something odd, but … I will type up anyway….
Sydney Burial Ground re-Interment Register of 1901. 

Thomas RUSHTON died 21 December 1822 (note I mentioned an inquest for same name but one month earlier)

C of E, transferred to Rookwood  Section AAA, Plot 554-9,
With Morgan,
Applicant for re-burial :  John B MORGAN, Flood St, Leichhardt.

I wonder if there's a headstone, and if so, if it gives age or parents' names. 

JM

:D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 November 18 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I'll keep plugging away. The Rookwood site gives me a date of interment but no details about him. But as suggested I have started an Australian thread asking for a cemetery look-up if someone can do that for me. I have also, as suggested, asked the moderators to give this thread more of a Liverpool emphasis. I found the Rushton-Tatlock marriage bond which says he was 21 "or above" in 1774, not that he was necessarily 21, so am disregarding that as an indicator of his birth date (the bride was 15 "or above"). Death aged 78 in 1822 gives us 1744 birth. Convict ship log gives us 1748 birth. The 1745 baptism at St Peter's in Liverpool, son of Robert, fits the bill but we can't be sure that is him.

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 05:56 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms for the younger children of Thomas and Amelia (Emilia,Emelin) at St Mary's RC in Liverpool..

George 1791, Charles 1792, Eliza 1794, John Tatlock 1795.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks. Thomas Rushton and his wife Amelia had at least eight children who died in early childhood – six sons, Charles, John, John Tatlock, John, Robert and George, and two daughters, Sarah and Eliza -- as well as the two daughters who survived and came out to Australia.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 November 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I decided to explore the possibility that the Thomas baptised at St Peter's on 31 Mar 1745, son of Robert, might be our man. If that is the case his father might be the Robert who married Rachel Kekwick in a Quaker ceremony at Penketh in 1738. The marriage was noted at the Hardshaw East Monthly Meeting. There was an Isabel Rushton (possibly Robert's sister, and described as the daughter of another Robert Rushton) who married a Daniel Kekwick (possibly Rachel's brother) in a Quaker ceremony at Marsden two years earlier. The widowed Rachel Rushton's funeral in 1788 was in the Quaker meeting hall at Marsden. Is it likely that a man from the Liverpool area (possibly Aintree/Walton on the Hill) would be marrying a woman from Penketh, and perhaps originally from Marsden? And more importantly I guess, how much intermarrying would there have been between, say, Anglicans and Quakers? I initially thought it unlikely that a brewer would have a Quaker mother but I gather 18th century Quakers drank alcohol because it was safer than water. They just didn't drink to excess. Again, any thoughts greatly appreciated. Geoff   

Offline cath59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 August 21 06:37 BST (UK) »
I'm descended from Mary Ann Rushton (daughter Thomas Rushton and Amelia Tatlock) . My Great grandfather John Buchanan Morgan apparently had Thomas's body re interred - My understanding was (please correct me if this is wrong) that John B Morgan did this to ensure that Thomas would be buried in an Anglican cemetery as opposed to a catholic one (and presumably save his soul from damnation ::) Such was the divide between the orange and the green... I do know that he despised catholics- as his daughter (my Nan Elsie Morgan) fell pregnant at 15 and married a catholic boy at 16. John B Morgan disowned her (temporarily) and refused to celebrate the wedding , marching in to the catholic church to sign the registry and then marching out again. She then lived at her husband's parents home when her man went off to war, her own parents not speaking to her. Those days!! ??? att is a pic of John B Morgan and family.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 August 21 07:14 BST (UK) »
That's a great picture, Cath. Do you know who is who in the picture? My understanding is that when Thomas Rushton (my 5 x ggfather -- I am descended from Mary Ann's sister Henrietta) died on 21 Nov 1822, he was buried in the Devonshire St cemetery, which was active from 1820 to 1867. When the NSW Railways decided to build Central Station in 1901, the cemetery area was resumed and relatives were given two month to have remains exhumed and reinterred. That is explained here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonshire_Street_Cemetery
While the sectarian aspects might have been a factor, I think that was the main reason for the new burial. My cousin Liz in Canberra has done quite a bit of work in this area of the Rushton family. I will send this on to her and also check among the things she has sent me. If I find something that would be useful for you, I will send you a message. Geoff Turner, Brisbane.   

Offline cath59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 August 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff
Thanks for clarifying- that makes sense! Re the photo- I can name most of them.
John Buchanan Morgan and wife Sarah Anne (Stanton) my nan is the baby Elsie Morgan.