Author Topic: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery  (Read 4301 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery
« on: Monday 12 November 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate help with any information locals might have on my ancestor Thomas Rushton, a brewer from Liverpool who was transported to Australia as a convict and played an important role in the early Sydney brewing industry. I believe he was born in 1745, and married Amelia Tatlock (1753–1797) in Liverpool on 1 Aug 1774. He had a brewery in Dale St, Liverpool, from about 1770 to 1796. He was found guilty of forgery in Chester on 21 April 1802 and exiled for seven years, leaving Spithead aboard the convict ship Calcutta in April 1803. I know quite a bit about his life in Australia and my connection to him but would love more information about life in Liverpool. The Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS forum has been very helpful but I still don't know his confirmed birth date, his parents, that sort of thing. Happy to share all I know about him in Australia. Thanks, Geoff Turner

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rushton, Liverpool brewer convicted of forgery, sent to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you have copy of his various paperwork that is held at the NSW State Archives, as per both the Colonial Secretary's papers and the main online Convict Indexes?

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/colonial-secretarys-papers

and

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Was he also a brewer in Macclesfield? A Thomas RUSHTON, brewer, was issued a certificate of conformity (after bankruptcy) on 7 Oct 1794.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the childrens' burials that Jamjar mentioned, there is also:

9 Oct 1789    John Rushton      aged: 1 yr,   abode: Dale street
21 Nov 1789  Robert Rushton   aged : 2 days    abode: Dale street
15 Jul 1794    Eliza Rushton     aged: 4 mths   abode: Dale street

Modified to add: - All of Thomas (brewer) and Amelia

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
More children's burials

17 May 1778    Charles Rushton  (son of Thomas, brewer)      abode: Dale street
24 Nov 1780    John Rushton       (son of Thomas, brewer)    abode: Dale street
15 Sep 1781    Sarah Rushton (daughter of Thomas, brewer)  abode: Dale street
20 Nov 1798     John Rushton (son of Thomas, brewer)  age: 4 Years & 4 Months, 
                       abode: Lumber Street

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Did Thomas died in November 1822?  There was an Inquest 21 November 1822.

Something odd, but … I will type up anyway….
Sydney Burial Ground re-Interment Register of 1901. 

Thomas RUSHTON died 21 December 1822 (note I mentioned an inquest for same name but one month earlier)

C of E, transferred to Rookwood  Section AAA, Plot 554-9,
With Morgan,
Applicant for re-burial :  John B MORGAN, Flood St, Leichhardt.

I wonder if there's a headstone, and if so, if it gives age or parents' names. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I have good paperwork once he got to Australia thanks mainly to work done by other descendants. We know Thomas Rushton and his wife Amelia had at least eight children who died in early childhood – six sons, Charles, John, John Tatlock, John, Robert and George, and two daughters, Sarah and Eliza. Amelia herself died in 1797, aged about 44. Their daughter Henrietta and her husband William Chippindall travelled as free settlers to Australia to join Thomas, only for Henrietta to die in childbirth about 18 months after arrival. I am descended from one of her sons. I found Thomas's bankruptcy in a list in "London Magazine: Or, Gentleman's Monthly Intelligencer Vol 3" for 3 Apr 1784. I hadn't heard he was in Macclesfield but that is probably him. Maddy, do you have any more about that certificate of conformity? He was caught with the dodgy pound notes in Stockport in 1802 which is why he was tried in Chester, so we knew he had left Liverpool by then. We know that once in Australia he took as a second (common-law) "wife"  Elizabeth Smith, convicted in the Old Bailey in 8 Jul 1789 of stealing a pair of linen sheets & other goods and given seven-year term. Such unions were not unusual in Sydney at the time. He was quite famous in Sydney because he was given charge of the Parramatta brewery, so that aspect of his life is reasonably well-known, but not his early life. There is a suggestion that he might have been the brother of Edward Rushton, the blind literary figure and abolitionist, but I have no proof of that because despite everyone's best intentions no-one has been able to establish Thomas's birth details. There are several births in the OPC database that could be him based on birthdates calculated from the passenger list on the Calcutta etc. Thanks for your help and quick response. I will keep trying until I can pin down his birth as that will hopefully open up more avenues to explore. Geoff.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 November 18 01:55 GMT (UK) »
NSW BDM has his age at death as 78 years
1822,  Volume 2B line 5571 would likely be a transmitted entry for Volume 8, line 762.

JM