Author Topic: Lieutenant Walter NUGENT, Jersey Island Garrison  (Read 779 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lieutenant Walter NUGENT, Jersey Island Garrison
« on: Monday 12 November 18 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find the military background of my 4 x great grandfather, Lieutenant Walter NUGENT, who was Fort Major and Adjutant of the Invalid Garrison of Jersey Island. This is what I know of him so far;

He was born County West Meath, Ireland abt.1736 (those facts according to his headstone), and d.26/5/1789 on Jersey Island. He married Esther BANDINEL 14/3/1761 on Jersey Island.

Militarily, I know he was Lt Walter Nugent of Major Drake's Company of Invalids on Jersey in May 1779. The 1787 List of Officers in the Army show him still in that same position, but adds Rank in Regiment 12/5/1779 and Rank in the Army 2/20/1757. In June 1789 his position was filled by another officer, indicating "Fort Major and Adjutant of The Garrison vice Walter Nugent, deceased".  I presume to be in an Invald Company, one would have to have some disability such as a permanent wound? His son-in-law, Stephen WATTS was also in charge of an Invald Company on Jersey, he having only one leg.

I would like to know of NUGENT's career before 1779 if possible? I thought he may be identical to Lt.Walter NUGENT 43rd Regiment who was wounded during the Quebec Siege on 13/9/1759, and/or  Lt.Walter NUGENT 43rd Regiment who was wounded in the West Indies 24/1/1762. The 43rd Regiment was Irish, and sailed to America 1757.

My biggest concern for that theory is my NUGENT's marriage on 14/3/1761 on Jersey Island is between those 2 woundings, though it is possible? Their first known child was not born until Dec 1766 on Jersey.

Thank you

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIEUTENANT WALTER NUGENT, JERSEY ISLAND GARRISON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 18 06:57 GMT (UK) »
The Corps of Invalids dates to 1688 and was a British unit that provided garrison troops for the defence of England and Great Britain between 1688 and 1802. The men and officers were all veterans of the British Army chosen by the commissioners of the Royal Hospital Chelsea to serve in lieu of a place at the hospital or receipt of a pension.
The men were generally those who were too old or wounded to serve in the regular forces and most served at least six years with the corps.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_of_Invalids_(Great_Britain)

In the UK, the island is referred to as simply Jersey ;D
Or maybe Jersey, Channel Islands.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that extra bit of information.
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
He would have been on Jersey in the American War of Independence. Considerable fortifications were built, towers every hundred yards (musket range) and then forts at intervals, they're still there, good as new. So good, the Germans incorporated some of them into their defences during WWII.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Regorian. I was actually over on Jersey only last month, and that visit has got me going again with this side of the family. I have 6 generations of direct ancestors (3x gg to 9x gg) who were born or lived/died on the island from 1600's. This NUGENT ancestor was one who lived/died, while his BANDINEL wife is descended from the 1600's line.

Les