Author Topic: What did you do on Armistice Centenary Day?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do on Armistice Centenary Day?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 November 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I was on a flight from Amsterdam to Heathrow and was approaching Essex at 11:00.

The Netherlands was neutral in the Great War; their remembrance day is associated with WWII, so little happening at that end.

Announcements were made on board, and everyone respected it. Landing was delayed because Heathrow closed for the 2 minute silence.

Nobody complained.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I was privileged to be able to march past the Cenotaph in London. 

A proud, yet bittersweet moment, remembering all who gave their life but, in particular, remembering nine of my own friends who were killed in more recent times.
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline rczcdm05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Fortunate to be able to watch the entire event on Sky news from South Africa, sadly not much is done about armistice day in this neck of the woods.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 November 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6376869/Portrait-Wilfred-Owen-carved-sand-UK-beaches-tribute.html
I have attached a link which will hopefully show some images of those marvellous sand exhibits.
Rows of profiles made by individuals can be seen in the photo.
Cowban

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 17 November 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Are those lines in the sand showing profiles of other people's war ancestors Maiden Stone?

Thrudnut were you one of the successful ones who had applied to be one of the thousand who walked past?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 November 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Are those lines in the sand showing profiles of other people's war ancestors Maiden Stone?

Yes.
Folkestone was the setting for most of the "Home Front" Radio 4 drama series which finished a 4 year run last Saturday. Shorncliffe Camp was in Folkestone. Soldiers marched down Slope Road for embarkation. (See BBC Radio 4 Home Front website for historical background, photos, interviews and all episodes.)
Beach portraits and a video of the day are on Pages of the Sea https://www.pagesofthesea.org.uk
Estimated 1,000 people took part on my beach according to local paper.

Cowban

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass.

No, I march with former colleagues from the RAF Squadron I served with. Even more poignent this year with it also being the 100th anniversary of the RAF.

It is always a very humbling experience.  Did you manage to get tickets to march past?
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 November 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thrudnut I am sorry to read that you had nine of your own friends in remembrance who were killed in more recent times .. this must have been especially hard for you in this circumstance.

Although I did tell others about the opportunity to obtain tickets on here I was not able to apply myself unfortunately, as my work shifts would not have made it possible for me to go.  On the day itself I had just finished a row of nightshifts.  I was determined to make the most of that day though and I decided to attend the Newcastle events as I knew I would reach the centre of Newcastle at around 10.30 am.  I didn't want dash home and sleep through that day of all days - after all none of us will be around to commemorate the Bi-centenary.  I also wanted to be in a remembrance frame of mind regarding my own ancestors who were killed and the many I have researched in a voluntary capacity.

That must have been a very moving experience that you got to participate in the march as you did.

Maiden Stone, what an amazing turn out there was on your beach - I think this is wonderful that so many have got involved this year especially.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
At 8-34a.m. On Armistice day I welcomed my grandson into the world!
A special day for a very special boy!
So at 11-00 am I stood outside the hospital on my own to resepect the two minutes silence and remember all those who sacrificed their lives, including members of my own family
My grtgrt uncle Sapper William McMillan Chalmers who was killed on the first Dau of the battle of Loos on 25th September 1915
And those that survived the war:
My Grtgrandfather (his brother) Alexander Chalmers who was on a minesweeper and in a letter to his daughter in 1918 wrote "I have done away with a good few Germans and avenged my brothers death"
My Grandfather Thomas Carmont
My GrtUncle James Henry Carmont who was awarded the Military medal

We will always remember them!
Beannie

I am a member of The Manchester General Cemetery transcription project and was supposed to be putting a list up of all the soldiers, either commemorated on family graves or on CWGC graves in the cemetery and to lay a wreath. Another member of the team put up the list and I went on the Monday and layed the wreath.
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester