Author Topic: What did you do on Armistice Centenary Day?  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do on Armistice Centenary Day?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations beanie on the new twig for your tree.  You won't forget his birth date.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations beannie, a very special day for you :)

We're more often than not enroute somewhere on November 11 but I was able to attend the local centenary service and recorded the live coverage of the city one at the Auckland War Memorial Museum to watch later. So poignant this year with over 18,000 crosses, one for each NZer lost in WW1, displayed in the grounds. I was able to wander among those a few days before the 11th, quite moving.
 We also have a cross for each of the names on our local cenotaph and a white dove for each of the 26 men is released one by one as their names are read from the Roll of Honour.

We had fine drizzle for the morning but the turnout was pretty good, I managed to knock my camera setting while juggling umbrella but realised quickly, though effect of this one I quite like ...

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I had organised a residential harmony singing weekend so, just before eleven o'clock on Sunday, there were sixty-five people gathered together, having a final re-cap workshop with the group who had been teaching us. I had decided that rather than have a formal silence, we would sing an appropriate song as the hour approached and had planned that into the programme for the morning. I also made it clear that if anyone wanted to observe the silence their wishes would be respected and that they could leave the room for as long as they needed. Nobody left. Most of us had to stop singing at some point or other, as our emotions got the better of us. When we had finished the song we automatically fell silent, possibly not for two minutes but certainly for long enough to reflect on the significance of the day. It was a very moving moment.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations on your new Grandson, beanie .. what a memorable occasion he chose to make his entrance on!
By the way one of my ancestors - Jacob Conroy- was also killed in action during the Battle at Loos on 25 September 1915.  He was only in his twenties.

mare I do like the effect on the photo which makes the image look quite stand out in the way that it seems like part photo and part painting.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I took my Basset Hound & Newfoundland to our local Service at the war memorial .... it was well organised and very moving - the basset joined in when the Bugler played the 'Last Post' ..... everybody seemed to appeciate it, whilst me & the Newfy tried to hide !

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I took my Basset Hound & Newfoundland to our local Service at the war memorial .... it was well organised and very moving - the basset joined in when the Bugler played the 'Last Post' ..... everybody seemed to appeciate it, whilst me & the Newfy tried to hide !

Your Hound was doubtless paying tribute to animal war casualties.

I took my dog to church once. She slept through hymns.
Cowban

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Indubitably !

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »

Aw that is so cute. I would love to have seen that. :-*

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Lostris, I think that is lovely that your dog joined in (on behalf of the 'fallen' of the animal war dead, no doubt ;)) and made a contribution.  Although, if I had been that bugler it would have taken a great feat to have suppressed my chuckles and carry on playing. ;D.

Where I was standing in Newcastle there was a great throng.  I and several others were standing on chairs to see over heads.  I don't know if any filming was taken of our part of the crowd but if so a small meerkat (toy) would be seen over the tops of all the heads.  A small boy seemed determined that this toy should 'see' all that was going on and held this aloft and moved this around left and right in an excited fashion all during the event.
This did make me smile that this little boy seemed so intent on getting his meerkat involved. ;D ;D

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner