Author Topic: sorting out who is who  (Read 2254 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sorting out who is who
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. You have hi-lighted the problem. I too have the same birth details as mentioned and accept those as in this case (Horray!!) we have the mother's name whom I can relate to. The other dates I refer to are a mistake (senior moment) and should have been written as +2 years either side of the above birth date. It's not possible to follow the siblings or other members as they all seemed to have been very independent and really no record of him ever being with anyone at any later date other than early census forms. I'm following the seaman route but again, like the marriage records available to me on-line I only get 2 pieces of info A Name and a date. This does not help as there are other R & RD Kings listed who I'm sure are not related- I think. Even a 3rd known name would go some way in resolving the mystery. I must point out I just use him as a example to make a point. There are other members of the family whom I have not yet said for certain are related to me for the same reasons.

MK

How many Robert Dixon Kings have you found?

1867 Second Mate Certificate b 1844 Whitehaven

The 4 crew lists all have the full name
1869 - Mahanada
1870 - Mahanada 25 yrs born Whitehaven
1871 - Mahanada
1879 - Ambrose born 1844 Whitehaven

These all would seem to be the same man.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
1861 3946/115/12

The Kings in Cumberland - William and Agnes with several children amongst whom are Robert D 16 yrs and Hugo Walton 7 yrs.

There is a probate dated 1881 re death December 1872. I can”t see it though.
However, administration of the estate was granted to his brother Robert Dixon King, Mariner, of 4 St David’s Buildings, Prussia Street, Liverpool.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
You write:

I must point out I just use him as a example to make a point. There are other members of the family whom I have not yet said for certain are related to me for the same reasons.

Are you interested in finding this man though? I hope so.

On the 1878 marriage of Robert Dixon King his address and the bride’s  is Pall Mall. The witness can be found living there in 1881.
The address from the probate I mentioned is Prussia Street. This is just off Pall Mall on a current map.

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood

I have pieces of info from various sources on many sheets of paper. Now that I've received this info I will now bit the bullet and enter it officially into my file and accept it as my man. Maybe now I can find children to this couple.

MK

Offline Dave276

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Jardiner,

You say you know the mothers name, including her maiden name?

Have you tried the GRO birth record search with the mothers maiden name?

Most people are aware that maiden names started to be published on record index's from around 1912, but not everyone is aware that the GRO index's now contain the mothers maiden name back to when civil registration began?

https://www.gro.gov.uk/

It has helped me avoid buying the incorrect cert many a time, plus you can get a pdf version for £6, a bit less that the full cert at £9.25