Author Topic: Postems on Freebmd  (Read 477 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Postems on Freebmd
« on: Monday 12 November 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
A Rootschatter recently asked for help with finding a marriage and I responded.  However, another RootsChatter posted a reply staying that all the information was already supplied on a 'postem' on Freebmd.

I think this is a great feature and a way to help others to get information for free.  It is easy to do too.  If anyone wishes to add information to a registration all you need to do is to click on the 'Info' button on the registration next to the volume and page number.  This will take you to the postem box where you can add info and then click on 'create'.  Once created a little envelope will appear next the name and anyone can open this to access the information provided. :)

I have now added a few postems for my own ancestors to help others who may be researching these too and plan to carry on adding postems in the future.

Other RootsChatters may already be aware of the postem feature but others may not .. this is why I am sharing this info. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Postems on Freebmd
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
There are a few posts on here about freebmd postems.  I always try and encourage people to complete them

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=741472.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie .. I did not know that this topic has already been covered .. thanks for the link.  Hopefully, my post might also help others become aware of this feature, too.

As the first poster mentioned in the link you have added if we all get into the habit of adding postems now and then we could help others save a small fortune.  We might also save money ourselves if we are lucky enough to find the 'gift' of a postem next to a name that we are researching.

Some people might want to check the information provided which is understandable.  However, it is often far less time consuming to check rather than search.  So postems can even help with saving time.

Even my local archives charge considerably less to check than to search.  £7 as opposed to £30.

Let's hope the word gets out, Rosie. :) 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Just a reminder of this too, one of my posts from an earlier thread on Postems on FreeBMD:

and if you want to search the Postems to see if any of your surnames already have notes against them, use this:

http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/ShowPostems.pl

This saves looking up individual bmd entries.