Author Topic: William Henry GILBERT  (Read 389 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry GILBERT
« on: Monday 12 November 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I posted this on another site, but it did not get any replies, so I am re=posting it here to see if it generates anything.

William Henry GILBERT was born in Tottenham on 02 Jun 1869 to James GILBERT, a house painter, and Harriet MARDELL. In the 1871 and 1881 censuses he is living with his parents at addresses in Tottenham.

In November 1889, he joins the Royal Artillery. Soldier 75539 is posted to India on 02 Dec 1890, where he serves to 16 Mar 1895. He returns to England and is discharged from the army on 01 Apr 1902 at Shoeburyness. According to his discharge papers, his intended place of residence was Tottenham.

However, I can't find him on any documentation post his discharge. I suppose he might have had a military pension, though I have found no record.

The search is complicated as there are a number of William Gilbert's in the area, some clearly related. And indeed a few William Henry Gilberts!

I would appreciate any insights or help on finding him in 1911 and 1939 (if he was still alive). Also I would like to discover when and where he died.

It should be noted that this is not the William GILBERT who died in Flanders on 12 July 1918 in WW1, as that young man was only 25 when he died and therefore far too young to be the man I am looking for.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry GILBERT
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
So this would be William with parents in 1881 3 Union Row Tottenham Middlesex.

RG11 Piece 1380 Folio 32 Page 57

Harriet Gilbert   48 widow. charwoman.
Emma Gilbert   20 factory operative.
Harriet Gilbert   17 domestic service
William Gilbert   11 James Gilbert   9
Alfred Gilbert   7 Alice Gilbert   5
Mary Mardle   67 widow
James Clark   43 Lodger.

James Gilbert born 1838  passed away Q4 1973 - aged 35 years - vol3 a 139

Hmm soneone quotes that 1918 death on an ancestry tree  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry GILBERT
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is the correct family.

I have seen the tree on Ancestry and it is definitely wrong. I sent for the certificate and the soldier died aged 25 giving a birth date of c1893, whereas my man was born in 1869.