Author Topic: Private John Gill 2nd/7th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment KIA 31 May 2017  (Read 1451 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Private John Gill 2nd/7th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment KIA 31 May 2017
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Strange that no enemy activity is mentioned in any of the diaries.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Private John Gill 2nd/7th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment KIA 31 May 2017
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
True although his own battalion diary uses the term "killed" .

You pays your money and …….! :)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline AAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 November 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help with this. It's given me a good indication as to how I can proceed further.

I'm doing the research for my 88-year-old Dad, whose uncle was John Gill. We visited Armentieres last year on the anniversary of John Gill's death, which was very poignant, and also participated in the service at the Menin Gate - so moving.

Offline scraps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I'm doing research on the 2/7th KLR and John enlisted around 11/12/1915 and was posted 23/01/1916 when a batch of new men were sent to Canterbury. The Battalion landed in France on 15/02/1917. As others have said it was not uncommon for men to be assigned to the REs for other duties. In that time they could have been fixing fire bays, traverses, etc either in the front line or reserve trenches. John was in "A" Company on the night he was killed, a note in war diary states "Pte Gill-killed-attached 171 Pioneer Coy'  and it is noted (15/06/1917) in the was diary that he was killed in action 31/05. His original number (they changed March '17) would have been either 5908 or 5909.
Could you please tell me if he was from Manchester or Liverpool as John sits between men who enlisted from either of those cities. I have his father as Robert (soldiers effects). This is all the info I have on him. I'm also collecting photos of the men and have a Company panoramic photo that I'm sure John will be in.. Happy to share
Paul Murphy
Caughie, Caughey, Connor, Madsen, Heiner, Stride, Magnus, Murphy, Bennett

Offline AAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Paul - this is extremely helpful. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to share any photos you have (or point me in the direction of where I can obtain copies). Happy to share costs.

John (whose father was indeed Robert) was from Liverpool.

Can I ask which war diary this entry comes from - there seem to be different battalions, brigades and regiments involved.

Thank you again,

Amanda

Offline scraps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
The war diary is from the 2/7th Kings Liverpool Regiment. It can be found under the 57th Division Kings Liverpool.
Thanks for the info on John being from Liverpool, that could mean that he enlisted more likely around 20/12/1915 and posted around 26/01/1916 as on 25/01/1916 104 recruits arrived from admin center Bootle and 27/01/1917 51 recruits arrived in Canterbury. They were there as the first defence in case of invasion.
PM me for email for photos

Paul
Caughie, Caughey, Connor, Madsen, Heiner, Stride, Magnus, Murphy, Bennett