Author Topic: Can anyone confirm these Medals  (Read 934 times)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone confirm these Medals
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Osserick, but that is incorrect. The qualifications were :

The 1939–1945 Star was awarded for specified periods of operational service overseas between 3 September 1939 and either 8 May 1945 in Europe or 2 September 1945 in the Far East theatre. The broad criteria were 180 days of service between these dates, with more specific criteria depending on service arm.

Naval personnel qualified after 180 days afloat between certain specified dates in areas of operations as laid out in the regulations.
    Army personnel had to complete 180 days of service in an operational command.
    Airborne troops qualified if they had participated in any airborne operations and had completed 60 days of service in a fully operational unit.
    Air Force air crew qualified after 60 days of service in an operational unit, including at least one operational sortie. The 1939–1945 Star was also awarded to crews of transport aircraft who flew over certain specified routes. Air crew of fighter aircraft engaged in the Battle of Britain were also awarded the Battle of Britain Clasp, while air crew of bomber aircraft who participated in at least one operational sortie in a Bomber Command operational unit were awarded the Bomber Command Clasp in 2013.
    Ground crew and other Air force personnel qualified upon completion of 180 days of service in an area of operational army command.
    Merchant Navy personnel qualified upon completion of 180 days of service with at least one voyage made through an operational area.

Special criteria

The award of a gallantry medal or Mention in Dispatches qualified the recipient for the award of the 1939–1945 Star, regardless of service duration. Personnel whose qualifying service period was terminated prematurely by their death or disability due to service were awarded this Star.

There were also a few other very specific categories.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maec for the clarification on this.  I knew my relative was not a POW,nor was he injured either to the family's knowledge.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Osserick

• RootsChat Member
  • While I Breathe I Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I got this wrong and caused confusion. My uncle had this medal and I was sure I read something about POW's. My uncle was captured in June 1940.
OSBORN - Middlesex, Lincolnshire, Rutland
GRAHAM - Ross & Cromarty
SPARY - Surrey, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire
BOUTTELL - Middlesex, Suffolk
BARBER - Surrey, Bedfordshire
HINCKLEY - Glamorgan, Breconshire, Staffordshire
REES - Gloucestershire

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
No Apologies required my friend (Osserick.  Thanks for taking an interest.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)