Author Topic: Harriet jarvis of East Brent  (Read 1339 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Harriet jarvis of East Brent
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gang

I wonder if anyone is planning a trip to Somerset Record Office in the near future & if so I wonder if that person would be kind enough to look up the burial date page & number of Harriett Jarvis death registered DEC Quarter 1873 & her burial should be in the registers for East Brent or Brent Knoll.

Thanking you all in anticipation

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet jarvis of East Brent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Not sure if you have the information you were looking for yet on Harriett Jarvis.

Harriett Jarvis neé Tilley was my 3 x great grandmother.  She was buried 28th November 1873 at St Michael's Church, Brent Knoll.

Hope this helps.
Elizabeth

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 November 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Was it by any chance you that I sent quite a few postings (re Harriet Jarvis) to when I replied to a request for help on the Weston-Super-Mare Family History web site?  If so I haven't been able to do that for quite some time now as the society have stopped Associate Members from doing this which I regard as being very mean.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 November 19 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Yes it was me and it was nearly a year ago now.  I followed your advice and contacted the group you told me about and eventually, they came up with the information.  I don't have a copy of the entry but the people concerned had access to the registers which are obviously not on line yet.

Is it because you are not a full member that you cannot access the transcriptions on the Weston Super Mare FHS group?  I find the that the few pounds I pay every year is well worth it but I thought you could still participate in the messaging.

Are you related to the Jarvis family or did you post the original message here on my behalf when trying to help?  If it was the latter then it is ironical that I answered my own question in effect.

All the best and thanks for your interest.
Elizabeth

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 November 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

You got it in one I was trying to se if anyone had info on Harriet Jarvis before I searched the parish registers :).

In answer to your other comment I don't have any relations or ancestors in Somerset & ceased to be a full member of the local society when they started to charge £3 a year to anyone who wanted their journal in hard copy which I voted against at the AGM & felt disgusted that this charge was implemented as its the only society I belong to that does this - I'm not trying to run them down but feel a bit hard done by that they have stopped me helping anyone who uses the research forum.

I'm glad you answered my request on Roots Chat as I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

All the very best & good luck with your research

Phil
member of what use to be BMSGH now Family Historian
also member of Oxfordshire Family History Society
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 November 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Genealogy is big business today and research site subscriptions can add up to a tidy sum each year.  I belong to 2 of the big sites but use a lot of the free sites too.  I have transcribed a few parishes for these sites so feel justified in using them, but there is a limit to how much one can spend on this hobby.

The vast majority of my ancestors seem to have started life in Somerset so that is why I subscribe to those sites but I do have gratitude for the Oxford FHS as my husband's family originated there and I have picked up quite a lot of info because of their work.

Take care and best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

You can get Oxfordshire parish registers free on line at Ancestry - if I remember you click on card catalogue then when you get to the next page type Oxfordshire baptisms into the search box or the keyword box I forget which way round it is - one of my main lines is it Oxfordshire, its a market town called Charlbury & the surname is Gomm with several different spellings but the main one is Gomm & a relation of some sort to one of the founders  of G-Plan

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that.  I have been using Ancestry for many years and have added considerably to my knowledge since they added Oxford records.

I am researching the names, Cox, Drinkwater, Haydon and Humphries on my husbands side and Giles on my own side although they are on the Oxford, Berks border.

I think from memory, I have a couple of people from Charlbury on the tree but am not sure as the old memory is not what it was.

It's great when we find out that some of our ancestors were involved in things we know of today.  I don't have any claim to fame, the only thing being that we are related to Geoffrey Keen who play 'M' in a James Bond film.  I remember him more from the series called the Planemakers but that really dates me. :D

Elizabeth

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 November 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

I come from a long line of Ag Labs & gardeners etc but the only one who did any good years ago was a chap named Charles James Holliday who became Lord High Sherriff of Worcester as well as Bailiff but its nothing to boast about & the only perk is that if you ask they will show you into the rooms where the High Sherriff's names are all round the walls engraved on boards - I went to Worcester Guild hall once & was shown the names but its not what Id call exciting.

I think we all look for someone famous when we start this hobby & find it a bit of a let down when we cant but at least somebody had to work the land & so on so they did a good job but you don't get much praise for digging a hole etc  :)

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell