Author Topic: Kett's Rebellion 1549 - books that deal with the facts?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Kett's Rebellion 1549 - books that deal with the facts?
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm presently immersed in C J Sansom's 800 page "blockbuster" Tombland, a Tudor whodunnit for his detective character Shardlake.  The setting is the Kett's rebellion in Norfolk of 1549.
I would like to know whether any Rootschatters could advise me as to which books or publications give a good factual account of those dramatic events.  Especially those that might give lists of the family names of those involved.  Even if some of those titles are quite academic.
I imagine that the Norfolk Record Office might be a good source too.
Many thanks in advance,
Keith

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kett's Rebellion 1549 - books that deal with the facts?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I was looking into this a few months ago and found a couple of articles which touch on this. Some names are given, but it's not a full list. I've a feeling I might have seen a fuller list somewhere, but I don't seem to have details of it. Anyway, they are:

"Lords and Tenants in Kett’s Rebellion 1549" by Jane Whittle (Past & Present, Volume 207, Issue 1, 1 May 2010, Pages 3–52)

"Agrarian Agitation in mid-Sixteenth Century Norfolk: a Petition of 1553" by R.W. Hoyle (The Historical Journal, 44, 1 (2001), pp 223-238)

A search engine might find you copies of these, or at least abstracts. I see that my copy of the first one was downloaded from JSTOR, which I have access to via my university alumni site.

Both articles have plenty of footnotes referring to other articles etc, so these will probably give you further leads. And if anyone does manage to find a list of names, do please post a link, as I'd be interested in this too.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Arthurk,
Thanks so much for responding and giving me those very useful links...
A while ago I was looking into the aftermath of the Battle of Sedgemoor down in Somerset in 1685 and came across a publication that listed "The Monmouth Rebels", thousands of names.
I imagine that as this was much earlier on in English history, any records may well be harder to track down.
It all makes my next visit to Norwich so much more interesting, historically!
Regards, Keith

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
see Wikisource

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Kett%E2%80%99s_Demands_Being_in_Rebellion

a list of people is held at the British Library

‘Keates demaundes beinge in Rebellyon’ (the title given on the final page, f. 78v) is a list of twenty-nine requests. It written at Mousehold and presented to Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset, then Lord Protector of England (for the minor King Edward VI). The movement was suppressed, and Robert Kett was hanged for treason on 7 December 1549. It is preserved in a single copy, now London, British Library, Harley MS 304, fols 75r–78v. It opens with a list of the names of hundreds and their representatives in Norfolk, Suffolk and the city of Norwich, omitted here. The signatures at the end appear to be autographs.

Was just reserving Tombland from the library, I'm 314th in line, think I'll wait for Christmas :D

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, The Yokel!
And in case you get impatient, even though the hardback is advertised at £20 a copy, they were selling them in my local bookshop for exactly half that, a tenner.
Might take up quite a bit of space in the toe of your Christmas stocking, too...
Keith

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

The first two books from the British Library can be downloaded from here:-
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n18/

yokel

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's a great help.  Thanks so much for persisting with your help.  Having finished the Shardlake book, which can be quickly devoured, I feel a bit of a vacuum and would very much like to explore the facts of those dramatic events in Norfolk/Norwich/Wymondham/Mousehold Heath in 1549 more deeply...
Keith

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, many thanks for that link.

You've also reminded me to go and look at the Internet Archive, and I've found the Russell book there:

https://archive.org/details/kettsrebellionin00russuoft

Unlike the British Library, this site allows you to download it as a pdf, which I usually find easier.

Edit: after struggling with downloading the first book (Neville) as jpg images from the BL site, I discovered that when viewing it in Google Books (link provided by BL), one of the tools that Google offers is a pdf download, so I'm happy to have got that as well now.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »