Author Topic: Gaps in WW1 service metal and awards roll records for Alfred Etheridge  (Read 430 times)

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gaps in WW1 service metal and awards roll records for Alfred Etheridge
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
This time of year has nudged me to try and tidy up some records I have of my grandfather who served with the 19th Btn London Regiment (St.Pancras) during the last year of the war. His records show he was in the 12th Btn LR up until June 16th 1917 and then the 9th Btn on December 12th 1917 for a day while transferring to the 19th. I am wondering why there is a 6 month gap and whether I could find out where he was between June 17th and December 11th 1917. Thanks.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gaps in WW1 service metal and awards roll records for Alfred Etheridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Assuming he is 628011 Alfred Etheridge (last number).  His medal roll entry has slight difference:
19 Mar 17 to 9 Apr 17 - 8 Bn
10 Apr 17 to 16 Jun - 12 Bn
20 Dec 17 to 21 Dec 17 - 9 Bn
22 Dec 17 to 11 Nov 18 - 19 Bn

The gap suggests back to UK, possibly wounded, recovered and posted back to France destined for 9 Bn but on arrival in France 19 Bn needed him more so he in all likelihood spent no time with 9 Bn at all except on paper.

MaxD

:
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Yes I had the medal rolls already and wondered why the 6 month gap. Is there any way I can find out whether he was injured and sent back to England for recovery? 6 months seems along time unless it was a major injury which I am not aware of.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Only a small proportion of medical records were retained and I don't find him listed.  Worse - there is a casualty list for 12 Bn for June 1917 in their war diary but he is not included.  There is no list for May although there were some casualties.
Someone may have access to the Times daily casualty lists for mid-1917, I don't find him in the FindMyPast newspaper collection.
Difficult to think of any other reason for 6 months away from France.
If nothing turns up here, a new thread specifically related to the casualty lists may help?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia