Author Topic: Beware of (some) heir hunters  (Read 3281 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beware of (some) heir hunters
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Just to show not all heir hunters have your best interests at heart.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6383721/Pensioner-74-wins-600-000-legal-battle-heir-hunter.html

The Judge's comments are particularly damning
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline polly50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of heir hunters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
That is so bad  :o

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Just to show not all heir hunters have your best interests at heart.

None of them really do as they are all out to make a living. However perhaps some are less callous than others.

This one is appalling and one hopes that he never appears on TV again.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
That is disgraceful!! Hard to believe that he would behave like that. It'll be interesting to see if he appears on a certain tv program again.

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of (some) heir hunters
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't remember seeing much of Andrew Fraser on the series - only when a house has to be searched!

Doesn't Neil Fraser comment on this website from time to time?  I think he is the one that is seen in the office more.

FS

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Can't understand how a court ever granted AF Letters of Administration. There is an order of precedence for relatives of the deceased, and he seems to have known there were relatives as close as a nephew according to the report of the court proceedings.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Can't understand how a court ever granted AF Letters of Administration. There is an order of precedence for relatives of the deceased, and he seems to have known there were relatives as close as a nephew according to the report of the court proceedings.

He got one of the distant relatives to give him a power of attorney to pursue the case. Whether he was wholly honest with the relative we do not know, and whether the relative was honest in giving him the power of attorney we do not know. What we do know is that armed with the power of attorney and an invitation from the local Council to look into the case he was granted administration which is not unusual. That he did things wrong is not in dispute as the Court found against him, but how many get away with it?

There was a case on here 3, 4 or 5 years ago of a poster with the surname MARTIN if I recall correctly. He had an elder half brother and when he did the poster and his sister wee the next of kin. However in a similar case to the above a heir hunter managed to get administration and liquidised the estate and distributed it to distant relatives when it should all of gone to the half brother and half sister. The poster eventually found out his half brother had died and pursued a case against the heir hunter and was paid out by insurance but not all heir hunters take that precaution. (I did look for the case on here but can not remember the poster's sign in name, but now I have mentioned it perhaps someone else will be able to recall it).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't remember seeing much of Andrew Fraser on the series - only when a house has to be searched!

Doesn't Neil Fraser comment on this website from time to time?  I think he is the one that is seen in the office more.

FS

Yes I believe you are correct, but he hasn't been on for a while. It doesn't give a very good impression of the business though does it  ::)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
That is shocking obviously no principles just greed through and through. Should be seriously ashamed for what he did.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen