Author Topic: Ellen Gibson Sproul  (Read 1549 times)

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Gibson Sproul
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Managed to uncover that John Muir died in 1892, and Ellen subsequently remarried in 1896 to a John Nelson (think gives occupation as Steel worker), when they were both living at East Union Street in Glasgow - already found them on the 1901 census.

Pretty pleased with this finding as fits some oral history that was passed on 2nd hand from a distant cousin, who said Ellen had used the name Mrs Nelson for a period!

Thanks again for setting me off again Maureen and Colin!

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Gibson Sproul
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know the Mitchell library have already sent me the applications for Ellen and John.

Unfortunately, John’s record confirms that he did die in 1910. It also gives further confirmation that the subsequent marriages found for Ellen are correct.

Ellen’s also priovides good corroborative information, as well as an alledged name of the father of her three children in Coventry.

I read this as Charles OKell, a clerk, who was said to have died around 1881.  Not sure what to make of this, as one child’s care application states her father was Thomas Millerchip (had another thread on that years ago), but wondering if there could be a link somewhere, or if the name is just made up.

I still can’t beleive how much I’ve found out about her in the last 10 days - thanks again for the help!