Author Topic: Signs of The Berieved  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Signs of The Berieved
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
This is Miss May Hawthorn, fiancee of Captain CG Grail, 7/N. Staffs. Regt. 1890 to 1915, KIA at Gallipoli.

I've never seen an apparent photograph with a black surround on a hat before. Was this common?

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of The Berieved
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
You've got me there.

I have seen many instances of mourning bands on hats (male and female) as well as armbands, also mourning brooches with photographs, but never a hatband/photo combination.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure it is a photo,I feel it might just be some ribbon ornamentation with some silk or perhaps a metal centre.
However the sentiments of the time would mean it is not impossible that if is indeed a photograph.
What a lovely woman but such sadness in her eyes.
Viktoria

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
This is Miss May Hawthorn, fiancee of Captain CG Grail, 7/N. Staffs. Regt. 1890 to 1915, KIA at Gallipoli.

I've never seen an apparent photograph with a black surround on a hat before. Was this common?

As the photo is sepia coloured, we can't know what colour the outfit or the hat was, it could be any dark colour. I don't think it's a photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
The 'thing' on the hat looks curved - I'm not sure it is a photo (at least on my monitor I can't make out anything that tells me it is a photo). It looks quite white - mother of pearl perhaps?

She is very lovely.

Do you know any more about her? Did she ever marry?

I agree with Carol that the dark colour may not have been black. She does have a pale lace collar so I don't know if that means anything? Do you have a date for the photo? It could well have been taken prior to the death of her fiancee.

Added: I'm sure that plenty of people would love a shot at restoring and/or colourising the photo if you would like to request a restoration.  :)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. It is annotated on the back 'Miss May Hawthorn, Goldthorn Hill, Wolverhampton', by Lilian M Wilkins (Griffiths) 1891 to 1995. 

I have googled images for similar, no hat photos. Tried to find her in the 1901 and 1911 Census, several choices too many, I suspect she had another christian name before or after May. Consequently, can't find a subsequent marriage for her.

It is B+W, not sepia.

Doesn't help that father Grail moved around with positions, Inspector, Pru Assurance. Shropshire, Staffordshire and back in Lydney, Glos. c1914.

Anyone like repairing photo and enhancement, please go ahead.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Regorian, if you would like it restored you will need to re-post it on the photo board - the photo restorers probably won't see it hidden here on the Armed Forces board.  :)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie, I'll leave it here. I only hope she went on to be married and have a long and happy life. Actually, I have the photo in front of me now. It has darkened since 1915, but MS Pictures adjustment has brought out the detail.

This is the other pic. I have of her c1914?. Left Constance (Connie) Evelyn Grail 1902 to 1926, Lilian Griffiths 1891 to 1995 and May Hawthorn. I wouldn't call Lilian and May 'lookers' but Lilian slimmed down by the 1920's. Connie was a tragedy, dying at 24. She was married in 1924 to Frank Thompson. From a family wedding in 1922 he had his hand in his pocket, fast forward to 1938, another wedding , still had his hand in his pocket! Connie was an accomplished artist. There was a small oil painting of our house on Bradley Hill, Soudley, Forest of dean. Don't know where it went.     

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Well they seem to be squinting against the sun,she was lovely in the first photograph.
My husband kept shoving his hand in his pocket at our wedding, on every photograph the pocket flap is untidy.
When you married in the afternoon in those far off days the men wore Lounge suits, no silly  morning suits in the afternoon.Even though there were flaps on the pockets many men wore them inside.Well my husband had them in, half out,half in and all in and all out but not both sides the same at any time.
Viktoria.