Author Topic: Reading and deciphering a workhouse record?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reading and deciphering a workhouse record?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
But it's annoying, because the only reason I'm chasing Sarah is to find a connection to the prior generation, and "Bridges" might just have been her MMN, whereas Bridget is only a personal name.

Don't dismiss it out of hand. Mother's name?

Any possible link to Ann Close in reply #1 of your thread here? Mother's name Bridget. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803270.msg6613271#msg6613271

Certainly worth investigating. The records are very thin for this family - I'll take scraps, if scraps is all there is!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Close, buried 17 April 1878, Manor Park Cemetery.

The register entry for the burial of Sarah Close at Manor Park has the Coroner as informant, showing that there was an inquest into her death. The coroner’s report will not have survived for this district (Eastern Middlesex) at this date.

However, there was a short report of the inquest in the press, in the Illustrated Police News and the Shoreditch Observer, both 20 April 1878. Available online at the BritishNewspaperArchive or FindMyPast.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Close, buried 17 April 1878, Manor Park Cemetery.

The register entry for the burial of Sarah Close at Manor Park has the Coroner as informant, showing that there was an inquest into her death. The coroner’s report will not have survived for this district (Eastern Middlesex) at this date.

In the spirit of "give a man a fish" where is that register (please) ?

However, there was a short report of the inquest in the press, in the Illustrated Police News and the Shoreditch Observer, both 20 April 1878. Available online at the BritishNewspaperArchive or FindMyPast.

I have a BNA sub, but due to her poverty, it didn't occur to me she might be in a newspaper!

Thank you (again)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
And the trail isn't dead yet. The inquest mentions that Sarah Close attended the funeral of a relative,
on the 25th March.

So - what my best source for burial records?

I *think* I've got a solid line of connection between "my" family (Ann Martha Close), and Sarah, but it would be remiss of me not to check this.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Burials at Manor Park are available at DeceasedOnline. Free search, but full details require a subscription or purchased credits.

I think it will be impossible to find the 'other' death/burial without a surname. I see no other CLOSE death indexed in London in that quarter. Do you have other connected family surnames that you could search for?

ADDED - I see there is a Henry CLOSE aged 31 who died in St Olave (Jun Qtr 1d 129) - any use?

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Burials at Manor Park are available at DeceasedOnline. Free search, but full details require a subscription or purchased credits.

I think it will be impossible to find the 'other' death/burial without a surname. I see no other CLOSE death indexed in London in that quarter. Do you have other connected family surnames that you could search for?

ADDED - I see there is a Henry CLOSE aged 31 who died in St Olave (Jun Qtr 1d 129) - any use?
My "Close" data is very thin. None of the deaths I know of for the West/Close family match this date.

I will have to make a note of this potential cross-check, and continue on.

Thank you (very much) for your help and expertise.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk