Author Topic: WW1 RFA Shoeing Smith  (Read 4001 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 RFA Shoeing Smith
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a medical record for a shoeing smith Wright with the number 56738, in 28 General Hospital (which was at Salonika) in December 1915 with Bronchitis.  His number appears nowhere else so I am inclined to think the record has one digit incorrect and this is 56338,  He was in 29 Div Ammunition Column which was in Gallipoli (and later Salonika from October 1915) but had arrived in Egypt in early April 1915 which adds up with 56338's date on his medal card. He seems then to not have been promoted (his rank was probably Driver) which might fit with only making it to Acting Corporal later.
Beginning to lean towards this man but, caveat follows, as all know, sans service records and sans other evidence, all speculation.

On the way from Alexandria to Salonika after Gallipoli, the vessel they were on SS Marquette was struck and sunk by a German submarine losing 107 men of the DAC among 167 total. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Back track.  56338's age is given as 33 is given in the medical record so ca. 1882 year of birth.  Not him on that evidence.  Pity - interesting story!
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I thought you had cracked it, but have CWGC got that Wright recorded?  Can’t find him so far.
A

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Did I give the impression he had died in the torpedoing?  I shouldn't have done, as far as I can tell he survived the war.

Fo the avoidance of doubt my money is on 1512 although knowing his discharge date, I'd like to see the photo and run over the relative dates.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I jumped too soon.
A

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Let's see if this works ....  ::)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
It's a miracle! Not quite as expected but a photo nevertheless. Apologies that quality is not too good - the original is not the clearest and I used my iphone to 'scan' this.

I hope seeing the photo helps, though apart from the chevrons and a tiny (possible) diamond on his epaulette nearest his shoulder I can't see any other embellishments which may give clues.

56338's service does sound eventful but as you say Max, the age being wrong is the clincher for this chap not being mine.There are no family stories that I am aware of, and I would think there may have been some interesting tales passed down to 56338's descendants.  :)

If 1512 is my William and he was discharged in 1916 why is he wearing this uniform in this photo taken in 1918 or later? (maybe he was wearing it because he could rather than because he was allowed to?) On his m/c he said his occupation was "Shoeing Smith RFA" which it would not have been in 1918 if he had been discharged in 1916.  :-\

Is it possible that neither 1512 or 56338 are the right William?

If it helps with the time line ... I know that my William was at home with his parents in the 1911 census, aged 18, and working at Walkers as a Brewer's Assistant.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 November 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that neither 1512 or 56338 are the right William?

Now we see the photo, almost certainly neither of them.  6 years plus service, no rank badges, still serving in 1918 plus.  Any one of the many Drivers in the RFA who became a Shoeing Smith but it is not recorded on his records.

Not sure we are any nearer except having eliminated two!

MaxD

PS  I was secretly hoping it would be the 56338 man with the interesting story!

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
That is disappointing but thank you anyway Max. Though frustrating, I suppose it is just as valuable to eliminate the wrong chaps.

You think it is possible he was a driver who ended up being a Shoeing Smith? (might that be seen as a logical progression?) When I was browsing the records I saw lots of 'Gunners' and 'Drivers'.  :-\ I suppose he must have learned 'on the job' so to speak but from what I have gleaned he had no previous experience with horses - I suppose the men just did what they had to do.

It seems like it might be an impossible task to find the wright William.  ;)  There are rather a lot of William Wrights.  ::)

[I was hoping he was 56338 too Max].

Added: I did wonder if there was any significance in the fact that William married by licence? Maybe he was on leave and had limited time ...