Author Topic: Charles Batchelor  (Read 385 times)

Offline leka

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Batchelor
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Charles Batchelor was in the 6th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, service number 12593 he was killed on 21st December 1915, he was born in 1890 in Gaddesden Row Hertfordshire. What I would like is some help with finding when did he join the Bedfordshire Regiment. I know his Parents and siblings and I have the War Diary of the Bedfordshire Regiment which tells me where he was killed (the only one on that day) but I can't find where or when he joined.
Many Thanks
Leka
Solomon,Pullan,Charlton

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Batchelor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately his service record appears to be one of the 60% lost during the Blitz.
However his 15 Star Medal Roll gives a disembarkation date of 30/7/15 so at the very least 3 months prior to this.
You could look for service records of men in the same Regt. with similar numbers & see when they attested (not infallible) which might give you a rough idea.
Having a quick look I've found 12599 6/Beds. attested 27/8/14 & 12589 6/Beds. same day but you need to find others as sometimes spare numbers were used, however the date & Batt. look encouraging.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline leka

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Batchelor
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jim1 for your help I will take your advice and search others in his Regiment. I thought his records might be part of the 60% but I was hoping it was just me not being able to find them. The War Diary shows the Regiment left aboard Empress Queen at 6.30pm on the 30-7-1915 and arrived at Le Havre at 7.30am 31-7-1915.
once again thank you for your help
leka
Solomon,Pullan,Charlton