Author Topic: 1841 Tithe Map  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
1841 Tithe Map
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the 1841 Tithe Map for Clay Cross (Clay Lane) please?  I would dearly love a copy.
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Logwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Tithe Map
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 19 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Are you still looking for access to the Tithe Map for Clay Cross? I have a subscription to The Genealogist and can help you out with this.
Best,
Georgia
(I believe we are related via William Clarke and Sarah Freeman)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 19 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

That is a very kind offer thank you.  I will dig out my paperwork to check what I was looking for!

So, are you Uncle Frank's grand daughter who worked for the BBC about a hundred years ago? 

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline Logwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

I am one of Frank Clarke’s 3 granddaughters, but none of us have worked for the BBC (as far as I know!).

Best,
Georgia

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Well, well, well...  I visited Uncle Frank about forty years ago and corresponded with him for a time.  I wonder whether I still have any of his letters?  Shame about the BBC.  Have you done any work on the Clarke/Freeman family tree?

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Georgia

Are you able to help pinpoint the following parcels of land and names associated with them please?

The Great Highfield, The Little Highfield, The Oxe Close, The Long Landes, The Thisley Dole, The Golding Flat, The Round Close, The Carr Cliffe, four little closes called The Carrs.

Lane Crofte, The Water Meadow, Nether Close.

Very many thanks
Valerie

Offline Logwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Round Close, Ox Close, Car Cliff, and 2 Carrs (Wheat and Corn), plus a Highfield (there’s another one elsewhere in the area too, but no ‘Great’ or ‘Little’ specified) were owned by the executors of Thomas Hopkinson and occupied by Thomas Young.
In the Apportionment Book I found Thistley Closes, but no Thistley Dole, a Long Close but no Long Landes.
A Great and a Little Nether Close - owned by James Nuttall and occupied by Robert Hutchinson.
Water Meadow, owned by executors of William Webster and occupied by William Chambers.

Have sent you a link to more details.
Best,
Georgia

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 April 19 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

You do not say how you know of the names of these parcels of land, so hope I am not giving information to records you already know of.

The names you quote, with others, formed what was to become “Coldwell Farm” Clay Cross the history of the lands is given in Derbyshire Record Office Catalogue

https://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D3955

When this page opens you can click on the link at the botton which shows all the transactions from 1659 to 1895.

By 1841Tithe they were owned by Thomas Hopkinson, and quite possible not all the field names were listed.  Thomas died 1842, and his will should be on findmypast, sorry cannot check as site not working correctly this evening.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Logwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 April 19 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Valerie asked whether the names appeared in the 1841 Tithe Apportionment books/map (completed 1843), which is what I looked at for her - National Archives, Kew: IR 29/8/59 - available on The Genealogist.
Georgia