Author Topic: Thomas Lamb 1789 Cockerham  (Read 2106 times)

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lamb 1789 Cockerham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »

Where did you get the birth year of 1789 from?

Hi,

From Ancestry, there was a Thomas Lamb who was baptised 1789, Cockerham, Lancashire and the father was Cuddy Lamb. I did contact someone on Ancestry that had this Thomas on their tree but she cant find anything.

Ann

Is that the only information you have about Thomas having been born a) in 1789 and b) in Cockerham parish?
 There are several Thomas Lamb baptisms 1789 +/- 5 years within a 10 mile radius of Cockerham on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks. There are more in the rest of Lancashire.
Do you have evidence that your Thomas was born in Lancashire?

I dont I'm afraid. What I am doing is creating small trees with any Thomas Lamb born 1789 and gathering information to see if they connect with my Thomas Lamb, its something I have done with another great grandparent that was born elsewhere and solved via this way. I have found Thomas Lambs of the same year in Durham and Tew, Oxfordshire but unfortunately they dont connect so now I'm doing the Thomas Lamb of Cockerham but finding information on him is hard and anyone on Ancestry that have him in their tree have no extra information thats why I have reached out on here, it doesn't help either that he has a really common name. I have been stuck on Thomas for years now but I am determined to crack it and I'm going grey in the process lol.

Ann

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 November 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I searched for Thomas Lamb marriages on LANOPC in a timeframe when a man born c1789 might have married. I couldn't pair any up with a baptism except for my own ancestor who was married at Ribchester 1811.
Another Thomas who married in that era was land agent to the duke who was the landlord. You should be able to work out which one he was and eliminate him.
Lamb was the most common surname in Thurnham township at one time.

Several people with long experience of Lamb research have contributed to the old Lamb thread.

Have you looked at Surnames Interests?
Cowban

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 November 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I searched for Thomas Lamb marriages on LANOPC in a timeframe when a man born c1789 might have married. I couldn't pair any up with a baptism except for my own ancestor who was married at Ribchester 1811.
Another Thomas who married in that era was land agent to the duke who was the landlord. You should be able to work out which one he was and eliminate him.
Lamb was the most common surname in Thurnham township at one time.

Several people with long experience of Lamb research have contributed to the old Lamb thread.

Have you looked at Surnames Interests?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've not been feeling too well.

Thank you for the information, I've not had a look at the Surnames Interest but will do either later tonight or tomorrow and I will also check out the thread and see what comes up.

Thank you  :)

guest189040

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I started the what is now a long thread on the Lamb’s of Cockerham.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=601244.0

The link should take you to the thread.

The OPC records for the Church in Cockerham has been excellent in having online transcriptions.

Forum member Maggie has been researching the Lamb family for quite a while and has been very helpful in in information she provided within the thread and as pm.

Please pm me if you wish more info

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »

Forum member Maggie has been researching the Lamb family for quite a while and has been very helpful in in information she provided within the thread and as pm.

Thanks, Colin.

Maggie on the other thread mentions Cuthbert Lamb and also the Lamb family whose members were land agents to the duke.

Cowban

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »

Thanks, Colin.

Maggie on the other thread mentions Cuthbert Lamb and also the Lamb family whose members were land agents to the duke.

You are welcome.

I have not been researching the Lamb branch in any detail for a while.