Author Topic: Looking for interpretation of text in parish register please  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for interpretation of text in parish register please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 November 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »
I find it very interesting when we come across names which are/were not common surnames (to ourselves) in research but surprised a name like that would be on 'The Archers', not something I listen to but my g/mother was a huge fan when I was a child as there was no TV in her house i.e. the radio was her only way of communicating with the outside world...living in the 'Highlands' of Scotland & even a Radio was a luxury as late as the 1970s!  :o

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 November 18 04:24 GMT (UK) »

The amount of people with that surname is quite a surprise as it's not a 'run-of-the-mill' surname & certainly doesn't shout 'English' or 'British' for that matter i.e. it would be interesting to find it's true origin arriving in England if that's the case?

Annie

A scout around various websites on name origins:
One says it was first recorded in Lancashire. This website mentions Paisley, England  ??? further down the page. As far as I'm aware there is no place called Paisley in England. If it exists it must be so tiny that hardly anyone knows about it.
Another cites earliest records in Cambridgeshire and London + other places.
A third claims the surname is from a little place in Derbyshire.

A variation is Orbine.
Another derivation theory is a Norse word, without H, meaning scarred leg.

Census statistics show Lancashire was the county where most Horrobins lived. Over 50% one year.
The vast majority live in England. (Well if they wouldn't cross a little river to a village less than 5 miles away they were unlikely to be enthusiastic about a sea-crossing. ;D)

No wonder it's an unfamiliar name to a Scottish-based person. I can't recall ever having met one in real life. However I may have walked past their graves.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 November 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
This is a byway -  nothing to do with the enquiry.
I looked up Horrobin on Imperial War Museum Lives of the First World War website. 89 listed. Several in Loyal North Lancs, the regiment my granddad served in. There was a Canadian Expeditionary Force contingent, several from New Zealand and a few from Australia. 9 were in RFC/RAF. Only 1 was in the Navy.
The life story page of the few I looked at had no details. Information can be added until March next year. I only discovered the website on Saturday, through a link on here.
 Yesterday I found another website, A Street Near You which has an interactive map showing home addresses of over 400,000 who died in WW1. One was the house in which I was born.
Cowban

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 November 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
"A scout around various websites on name origins:
One says it was first recorded in Lancashire. This website mentions Paisley, England"

I don't see any on scotlandspeople site, not to say there weren't any, just not recorded?

"No wonder it's an unfamiliar name to a Scottish-based person. I can't recall ever having met one in real life. However I may have walked past their graves"

I may be Scottish based but my research has taken me all over the globe i.e. my location has nothing to do with surnames I've encountered on my genealogy journeys :D

I have to say though, there will be 000s + names I've never encountered, well, not consciously & certainly not on SP which I frequent  ;D

I still think this was a 'foreign' name which landed on our shores but...from where  :-\

Add..Got the red alert...
"The life story page of the few I looked at had no details. Information can be added until March next year. I only discovered the website on Saturday, through a link on here.
 Yesterday I found another website, A Street Near You which has an interactive map showing home addresses of over 400,000 who died in WW1. One was the house in which I was born"

Wow...amazing what we find!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 November 18 06:04 GMT (UK) »
"A scout around various websites on name origins:
One says it was first recorded in Lancashire. This website mentions Paisley, England"

I don't see any on scotlandspeople site, not to say there weren't any, just not recorded?

House of Names website  https://www.houseofnames.com/horrobin-family-crest
"Migration of the Horrobin family to the New World and Oceana
Horrobin settlers in U.S. in 20thC
John Horrobin who arrived in America from Paisley, England in 1906"

Perhaps he didn't stay long in Scotland. Maybe there is a Paisley in England that I've never heard of. Most likely the writer put England instead of Scotland or Britain.
Cowban

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 November 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you get dragged out to do some shopping and come back and the whole thread has exploded :o  Well not exactly but I have really enjoyed reading the discussion between Annie and Maiden Stone.
And yes, the marriage I was looking at was Christopher Horrobin and Elizabeth Rothwell.

Just for general interest I have five Christopher Parkinson's, 39 Parkinson's overall then they marry into the Hoyle family, 27 of those, all around Haslingden.  Then one of the female Hoyles headed south to Rochdale and married a Dearden, and that is another story ;)

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 November 18 06:26 GMT (UK) »

I still think this was a 'foreign' name which landed on our shores but...from where  :-\

Anglia? Saxony? Around 1,400 years ago. Holcombe is a Saxon settlement.  Alternatively Scandinavia. Plenty of Norse around the area too. Whalley is ancient. Horrobins or rather the people who became Horrobins, might have been in those places for a thousand years before their names appeared in parish registers.
Staffordshire is another county which had a fair few. Some of those 89 soldiers were in Staffordshire regiments.
Cowban

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 November 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Apologies as my earlier searches were OPRs rather than Statutory records!

"John Horrobin who arrived in America from Paisley, England in 1906"

It would be interesting to find out more info. on him as his family could possibly be researched in Paisley with enough info?

Unfortunately I don't have time to search further for the moment but to search on scotlandspeople.gov.uk (1855 until 2017), I haven't gone through everything but they're there!

No quotations...enter in surname box **r*obin* then to the right choose the option wildcards allowed which brings up a few (not too many) & with variants.

How interesting the thread has been  ;)

Annie

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I find it very interesting when we come across names which are/were not common surnames (to ourselves) in research but surprised a name like that would be on 'The Archers'

My mum was friendly with the daughter of civil engineering contractor Leonard Fairclough, and she was told that when the writers needed a lot of character names in 1960 for a certain soap opera, they visited a cemetery in Manchester.

Obviously the name joined up with the occupation in the back of someone's brain, and a long-running character appeared.

So an accident that the name came to be used, but the occupational link was probably a little less accidental.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.