Author Topic: Jeremiah Wallace of Easky  (Read 3118 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Wallace of Easky
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »

I have a suspicion that the name Jeremiah may be sometimes recorded as James, which is somewhat confusing, and I wondered if anyone else has seen this happen.

The latest incident I have come across is the marriage of Dorothy Beatrice Lindsay Wallace to Frederick Armitage in 1924 in Marylebone. The 1911 census clearly shows her father was the Reverend Jeremiah Wallace, born c 1862 in Dromore West, Sligo. Jeremiah  appears on a Clergy list in 1897 as an "Advocate of Kings College,London graduated 1896".

I am trying to find a place for Revd Jeremiah in my Ballymeeny Easky families. It is possible he is a grandson of Jeremiah Wallace born c 1798 who died 16 Mar 1853. I think this Jeremiah was the witness at the marriage of my 2x gt grandmother Mary Wallace at Easky in 1843 to John Livingston.

Jeremiah is said to have left a will in which he leaves a farm to his two daughters, Mary and Margery. Margery b c 1832 at Killeenduff married Robert Brett on 20 Jan 1853 and her father is recorded as James Wallace.

Then there is Charles Wallace, born c 1813 who married Amelia Brett at Kilmaglashan on 13 Dec 1849. One witness was James Livingston (probably the one who married Jeremiah's daughter Ann Jane Wallace on 18 Dec 1856).  Charles' father is recorded as James but it is my theory that Charles, Mary and Jeremiah were all children of Jeremiah Wallace of Ballymeeny who appears on the 1833 Tithes.

So if anyone can help turn these other two James Wallaces into Jeremiahs, then that would be very helpful.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Wallace of Easky
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Thank you. Yes that is the Jeremiah Wallace who died 16 Mar 1853. I think that date was obtained from the Sligo Heritage people by another Wallace researcher. Also the date of death for his wife Elizabeth, 14 Mar 1864. That one I shall hopefully be able to confirm as soon as the irishgenealogy site get back that far.

The Mary Wallace who is listed at Ballymeeny in the Griffiths valuations is likely to be his mother and probably the Mary Wallace of Ballymeeny b c 1780 who died 13 May 1860.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

The next Wallace image, Robert Wallace who died 1899 at Ballymeeny was a son of Jeremiah. His wife was Anne Johnston. Robert and Anne had a son Jeremiah born c1863 who joined the RIC and was in Banbridge Co Down (wife Rachel Shimmons) before emigrating to Canada in 1906.

I am trying to remember where Ancestry hide their RIC lists. I have 2 Jeremiah Wallaces on a very faded list I printed from something years ago. One aged 19 Galway 1846 and one 19, Co Mayo 1876. Neither match.

Cheers

Linda

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rathmore

FamilySearch is where I found the Reverend Jeremiah Wallace born c1862 and because he was born in Dromore West, I followed him as far as I could. I have not found his marriage to Lavinia (possibly married in South Africa where their two older children were born) so do not know the name of his father.

Two other Jeremiah Wallaces born Ireland do not as far as I can see link to Sligo.

I am not registered with findmypast UK, so do not know who is on there.

What we have is:

Jeremiah Wallace & Co  at Ballymeeny in 1833 Tithes

Mary Wallace at Ballymeeny in 1857 Griffiths
Mary Wallace b c 1780, of Ballymeeny, widow,  died 13 May 1860

John Wallace

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry last post got sent accidentally before I finished:

Before I go on to the next generation there is a Robert Wallace who died Dromore West in 1870 aged 86. Possibly the Robert not noted as junior, at Ballymeeny in 1857 Griffiths. Time will tell; awaiting irishgenealogy site images for 1870 deaths.

There is also James Wallace listed at Killeenduff in 1857 Griffiths, but his age/generation is not known.

Next generation:

John Wallace, b c1797, died 1883 McNab, Renfrew Canada, married 1830 (McNab) Isabella McCallum.
Jeremiah Wallace, b c1798, died 16 Mar 1853? at Easky, married Elizabeth c1832.
Charles Wallace b c 1813, died 1884 at Cleveland Ohio, married 1849 Amelia Brett. (Father ?James)
Mary Wallace, b c 1817-1820, died 1878 Killoran, married 1843 John Livingston
Ann Wallace, dau of Geremiah b ?  married23 Aug 1856 at Easky to Patrick Hunt.

(Not to be confused with Ann Jane Wallace b c 1838, dau of Geremia, who married at Easky on 18 Dec 1856 to James Livingston of Killoran). Unless this is the same Ann Wallace and she was widowed soon after her marriage.

Also  with no further info
Robert Wallace known as Robin.
Arthur Wallace

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
 Hi There.

Im looking at the WALLACES OF CO SLIGO , Ireland.

My Ancestor , William Nairn , bef 1800 d ? married an ANN WALLACE  , bef 1800 , d ?
They first appear as Farmers ? , living in the townland of Baroe , in Calry, on the outskirts of Sligo Town.
By 1805 they were living in the Townland of Carrowgobbadagh, Kilmacowen, Co Sligo.
They had at least 2 Children, William born in 1805 and Elizabeth born 1807.
The Surname Wallace seems to have later been adopted into the Nairn Families of County Sligo (Ballydrehid) as a Christian Name or middle name ,ie WALLACE Nairn of Ballydrehid  b. abt 1824 - d.1900 and this continued down the Family line where one of my Great uncles , born 1911 was James WALLACE Nairn.

Any help would be Appreciated.

regards , Kerry.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am not sure if I will be able to help you with William Nairn but will look. I was looking up one ofmy mother's Livingston cousins named Leslie in my Ancestry tree (whose family I have just made contact with through DNA) and saw a Leslie Nairn on my list of Leslies. Sure enough he turned out to be a Sligo relative, son of Percy Edmond Nairn (1910-1985) and  my mother's ?second cousin Isabella J Black (1912-1972).

Isabella's grandmother Jane Livingston was the sister of my 2x gt grandfather John Livingston who married Mary Wallace of Easky.