Author Topic: Jeremiah Wallace of Easky  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Wallace of Easky
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 April 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
 Hi. Thats an interesting connection. I have Leslie & Percy Edmond Nairn & Isabella Black in one of my ''Nairns of Co Sligo Trees'' on Ancestry.com.

I have several Different ''Nairns of Co Sligo'' Trees. There were basically three or Four Nairn Families in the 19th c in Co Sligo, & apparently they were all related to one another, but finding out how is a mission !
William Nairn who married ANN WALLACE bef 1800, is basically the Oldest record i have of any Nairns in Co Sligo, apart from a John ''Nearon'' of Killoran who appears on the 1796 Flax growers list.Then there is the 1749 Elphin census record of two Nairn Families in the Townland of Kilmacowen.A John Nairn & wife , Protestant Farmers with two servants, and a ''Widow'' Nairn , Farmer with one child over 14.
The William Nairn who married ANN WALLACE bef 1800 , could possibly be the ''Child over 14'' in 1749 ?
Ive always wondered why in 1749 , John Nairn & wife had 2 servants, but No Children ? I would have thought, being Farmers they would have had as many Children as possible to work the Farm ? According to one Theory, they may have arrived in Co Sligo at that time having fled Scotland after Culloden in 1746.Some Nairns were Jacobites !, and Nairn/e is a Scottish Name. Another Sligo Nairn, reckons the Nairns arrived with William of Orange, ie abt 1690, & yet another reckons they arrived in Plantation times , firstly to Londonderry ? I think the ''Black'' Family in Co Sligo may have had connections to Northern Ireland ?

regards, Kerry 

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 April 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

It looks like only your Springfield Nairn tree is public in Ancestry and the rest are private. I see there is a Sproule and a Tighe in that tree. Both surnames are in my Livingston tree. I think the protestant population in Sligo was small enough that nearly everyone was related to each other.

I doubt if the families had much choice over the number of children they had.

Though most of the families of my 3 Irish grandparents kept far enough apart that I do not get many crossover in my DNA matches, I keep getting the feeling that my Donegal families have links to Sligo families. So it would not surprise me to find the Blacks link to Donegal. Same with Sproules. And from there it is not much of a leap to Derry. In fact my grandmother's families lived on both sides of the (later) border and within walking distance of each other.

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 April 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Do you mind me asking , what your Surname is ? and have you done a Y - Dna Test at all ?Im considering doing one.

The problem with my direct Nairn branch, is that my Great Grandfather, David John Nairn, was born illegitimate in Glasgow 1871.His Mothers Name on his birth certificate is MARY ANN NAIRN and she was from CO SLIGO, born abt 1832- 1835.I know this because she was also recorded at the same Glasgow address on the March 1871 census and her age on that is recorded as 36. So im assuming her Father was a Nairn of Co Sligo.There were at least 3 William Nairns living in Co Sligo during the 1800s, all Farmers.
David John Nairn was resident at the Nairn property in Springfield in June 1893,when he married ! This is significant for sure.The Main family at Springfield at the time were Parents, Thomas Nairn & ELIZABETH SPROULE , with 5 Children.I have a record for Thomas Nairn , born at Springfield in 1851.He had a sister, MARY ANN NAIRN, born at Springfield in 1846 ! If this is my Gt Gt Grandmother her date of birth is about ten years out ? unless she lied about her age on the Glasgow census for some reason ? The Parents of Thomas and Mary Ann Nairn were William Nairn , Farmer of Ballisodare who married  CATHERINE McKIM of Carrick Henry in 1846.This William Nairn may be my gt gt gt Grandfather ? and im thinking a Y - DNa Test may be able to determine this ? Although obviously the Y Chromosome wouldnt have been passed through Mary Ann Nairn.
It gets pretty complicated !  Im interested in the Y - test also as you can join Surname/clan Projects etc.
 Other Sligo Names that appear connected to the Nairns ,ie Marriages , witnesses etc, include , MERRICK , (John Nairn, Farmer of Kilmacowen , d. 1839, married Elizabeth Merrick in Ballisodare in 1818) IRWIN, ALLINGHAM, BEATTY, WOODLAND, McDONAGH, CURREN, amongst others.

The possible  Donegal link for these Families is interesting ! I have a Hearth Tax record , 1665, for a JOHN NEARNE living in the Townland of Tullyrap.Raphoe, Co Donegal, and im pretty sure there is also a SPROULE  in Donegal on the Hearth Tax records.

I would be interested in seeing your Sligo Tree if thats Ok with you ?

regards, Kerry

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 April 21 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Just remembered the Family that the Nairns seem to have married into several times was BROWN. Also the MULLENS.

William Nairn, 1824 - 1904, Farmer of Kilmacowen married 1. MARY ANN JOHNSTONE of Drumcliffe in 1846, Protestant Family,10 Children.
He married 2. HELEN BROWN of Kilmacowen in 1872, Catholic family , 10 Children.

Id be keen to hear of these Families in your Tree,if you have them.Could easily be a connection somewhere ?

regards, Kerry.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 April 21 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I do not have a y chromosome so I got my brother to do a y DNA test. I was hoping to get back further than my Graham 3x gt grandfather who was born Antrim (probably) c1788. Only the closest matches are closer to 1600s than 1800 and I have no way to bridge the gap. They are all border Grahams, many of whom got exported to Ireland by King James.

There is one match who is a known 3rd cousin, only suspected until the yDNA test confirmed he is a Graham, as his father was adopted.

So a yDNA test could lead you to the surname of the father of David John Nairn. And yes you should then be able to then get help from the project co-ordinators. A word of warning though, a large number of my brother's yDNA matches are not Grahams because the yDNA can take you back before the Scottish started using surnames.

The familyfinder test would be more useful for closer relatives up to 4th gt grandparents. One of the North of Ireland Project co-ordinators told me last night that these are currently at discount price of US$49  which is a lot more affordable than a yDNA test.

I did my test in Ancestry then transferred the results to FTDNA, which is my preferred option as the Ancestry database is larger and they will not allow you to transfer DNA from FTDNA.  If I send a message to Scots Irish who has the Robbie Burns Nairn, will that reach you? That would be the easiest way for you to find my public Livingston tree. I am not a DNA match to Scots Irish.

I have 3 other trees in my hints for Percy Edmond Nairn and I know two of the owners, Thelmablack11 and lauraKaatz. Both will have extensive Sligo connections. I do not know the 3rd person Tedhedrik.

It has just clouded over again so we might get one of those possible showers the weather forecast said Auckland might get.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 April 21 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I have sent a message to Scots irish.

I think I remember reading a list of  some Cromwellian soldiers who remained in Sligo in one of the volumes of  the Wood-Martin History of Sligo. I thought I had downloaded copies but could not find them on my PC last night. Found them on the  askaboutireland website though. 

This link might work.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-county/sligo/wood-martin-history-of-sl/#:~:text=History%20of%20Sligo%20County%20and%20Town%20by%20William%20George%20Wood,is%20inseparable%20from%20ancient%20mythology.

One of the people mentioned in the 1660-1690 period is a Sir William Cole and his regiment of foot. I think I wondered if my Coles of Donegal were related. An interesting snippet I had not remembered reading before is that there were 4 French frigates sighted off the coast of Sligo in 1798  (The French attacked Collooney in 1798) and Wood-Martin speculated they migh be connected with  Napper Tandy who attacked with the French in Donegal. I have read newspaper accounts of the death of my 3x gt grandfather (father-in-law of my Cole 2x gt grandfather) at the age of 108, in which he had told stories of seeing Napper Tandy marched to gaol..

Cheers

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 April 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Im thinking about doing the FTDNA Y - Dna 111 Test, which isnt cheap ! , You mentioned a Test for $49.00 US  is that a Y - Dna ?

Id recommend watching Dr Maurice Gleesons utube Videos on using Dna To Trace Ancestors.I found he explains it well & its easy to Follow.One video is ''Using Y- Dna to research your Surname'' & ''interpreting your Y-Dna results''.
Dr Gleeson mentions the need to be prepared to ''follow the paper Trail'' for 3 or 4 generations between Matches if necessary, & if possible !

I now have a relatively good knowledge of different Branches of the Scottish Nairns, often named in Scotland as ie, John Nairn of Greenyards, Alexander Nairn of Sandford,  William Nairn of Strathord, etc etc, so if i was able to get a Match to one of these, that would be great ! , but may be Wishful thinking on my part ?

Guess who ''Scot Irish'' is ? & the other funny bit ! Where he lives.Thats right you quessed it, Auckland.

Regards, Kerry

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 April 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Maurice Gleeson is another of the North of Ireland project co-ordinators. I watched one of his videos a couple of years ago after I had my Ancestry DNA test, and before I copied my DNA to FTDNA.

Maurice actually recommended in the video, getting an Ancestry DNA test then transferring the DNA to FTDNA and other sites who generally allow you to do this for free.  This only applies to the autosomal DNA test in Ancestry (who don't do yDNA anyway) and is the equivalent of the Family Finder test in FTDNA, which is what costs $49. The North of Ireland FHS are strongly connected to FTDNA.

The autosomal tests are the ones that will identify all the families you are related to up to about 6 or 7 generations. So easily covers from gt grandparents up to 3x gt grandparents.

Maurice was talking about the chromosome browser and how you can use it to see where (which chromosomes) you share DNA with your matches.  That is something you can only do with an autosomal  Family Finder test (or if you transfer from other sites and pay US$19 to have that capability added). Well worth the money and there are no further annual costs.

It does not apply to the yDNA results as that is only one chromosome, looked at in detail. Females are  excluded, as we don't have a Y chromosome.

You would not be able to get a match to Nairns using yDNA as you don't have any Nairn yDNA. You could only get Nairn matches using an autosomal DNA test.

I think you will eventually want to do both. The y111 is good enough for general purposes but the push for one name (surname) studies is to go to the BigY tests. Your yDNA is not going to put you into a Nairn one name study unless you gt grandfather was the son of another Nairn.

I have a match in FTDNA at 5th to remote cousin level (which means the closest ancestor is probably a 4x gt grandarent or more distant) who has Nairns in her tree, in Perthshire. e.g. a Sir Thomas Nairne possibly born Kirkhill, Collace, Perthshire, and died 1722.

Chances are that my match is somewhere else in their tree but it would take a lot of time to find out where. Though there are some possibilities in the list of names this match has provided. This match has a good tree in FTDNA which would help but many people do not have trees.

Yes I guessed who Scots Irish is. But Ancestry says they have not been active for 3-11 months so I was not sure of getting an answer to my message. I  did not see the other trees at first as I did not notice the arrow to show more trees. I have found them now.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda.
Thanks for your reply.

So your saying an Autosomal Test would be the correct test for me ? to try and determine whether for example William Nairn ,1814 - 1899 , Farmer of Ballisodare, Co Sligo is my 3x gt Grandfather ?.Id like to try and get Nairn Surname matches further back into Scotland if possible.

Maurice Gleeson talking about the Y Dna Tests mentions BIT (break in Transmission) ie through Illegitimacy, that are not at all uncommon.So for example if my Great Grandfathers Father was a McCallum for instance (Could well be ?) i would only get the McCallum line Dna ? and nothing for the Nairn Surname ?Would a Y-Dna Test, show matches to Nairns Further back ? or not at all ?

regards, Kerry.