Author Topic: 3rd - 5th cousins  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd - 5th cousins
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 November 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I've also had my DNA linked to a direct ancestry bare bones tree from the start as it seemed much the best way to manage this.

If you manage other DNA tests you can also attach that DNA to those people in your tree too.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Bare Bones Tree duly made and uploaded to Ancestry.  Now to see if anyone takes the bait.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Much appreciated.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, on My Heritage when you look at your match and it shows an estimated relationship, in this case 3rd to 5th cousin, beside "3rd to 5th cousin" is a small question mark.

Click on that to see a diagrammatic representation of the relationship and how far back you may need to look for that common ancestor. It can be useful to see it laid out this way.

Seeing this generally makes me not want to bother even attempting to find the connection with my disinterested distant matches.  :P

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, on My Heritage when you look at your match and it shows an estimated relationship, in this case 3rd to 5th cousin, beside "3rd to 5th cousin" is a small question mark.

Click on that to see a diagrammatic representation of the relationship and how far back you may need to look for that common ancestor. It can be useful to see it laid out this way.

Seeing this generally makes me not want to bother even attempting to find the connection with my disinterested distant matches.  :P

I think this is based on the table that I mentioned in my reply #3  above

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »

I think this is based on the table that I mentioned in my reply #3  above

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Ah yes, it seems to do be similar (too many numbers on dna painter for me though Gadget)  ;)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
The thing is, Ruskie, the cMs are more accurate than the relationship, which is calculated on the basis of the numbers  :-\

I like numbers - have always enjoyed Maths/Stats - must be in my DNA  ;D  ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 November 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
The thing is, Ruskie, the cMs are more accurate than the relationship, which is calculated on the basis of the numbers  :-\

Yes that makes sense.

I like numbers - have always enjoyed Maths/Stats - must be in my DNA  ;D  ;D ;D

You are lucky. I am the opposite. It's not in my DNA as far as I know - must just be me.  :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 November 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »

Neat!  Thanks for the tip  ;)
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 November 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
STG ~

Margaret gave a link to this article a while ago. It's worth reading if you've not done so. it's a very clear guide for understanding DNA/relationships:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

Gadget