Author Topic: 3rd - 5th cousins  (Read 3369 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd - 5th cousins
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 November 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Margaret gave a link to this article a while ago. It's worth reading if you've not done so. it's a very clear guide for understanding DNA/relationships:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

Thanks.  I've bookmarked it.
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Margaret gave a link to this article a while ago. It's worth reading if you've not done so. it's a very clear guide for understanding DNA/relationships:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

Thanks.  I've bookmarked it.

Yes a very good article. I have book marked it too :)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 November 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how often Ancestry updates its DNA matches, please?  I swapped my connected tree yesterday (from that of my maternal grandmother's to my new "DNA" one that covers all four grandparents and their ancestors - well, the ones I've identified so far, that is), but it's not changed the number of hits in either the "shared ancestor hints" or the "4th cousins or closer" categories. 

Do I just have to be more patient?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 November 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how often Ancestry updates its DNA matches, please?  I swapped my connected tree yesterday (from that of my maternal grandmother's to my new "DNA" one that covers all four grandparents and their ancestors - well, the ones I've identified so far, that is), but it's not changed the number of hits in either the "shared ancestor hints" or the "4th cousins or closer" categories. 

Do I just have to be more patient?

STG

Shared ancestor hints and circles take a few days to generate, they have to go through your new tree and your matches trees.
Putting in a fuller tree won't alter the number of matches that you have, either 4th to 6th, or more distant matches. You will always have had matches with the missing three quarters of your ancestral line. As far as I know, ancestry updates matches every working day, US time. My 4th to 6th come in dribs and drabs, my 5th to 8th on a regular basis, just check 'new' or 'date' to see.

What you will see differently straightaway, I think (can't remember fully), is the shared ancestral surname list when you click on a match. Before, you would only have seen a quarter of surnames, now you should see the full range. Take a look at some of your unidentified matches - see if you can now see any extra shared surnames.

Follow the Lost Cousins strategies in the link given above, Peter Calver doesn't rate going through your 4th to 6th cousins all that much. However, I follow his guidelines to a certain extent and have obviously developed my own over time - I like to get new closer matches as well.

About half my confirmed matches are with 4 to 6 or closer, the other half from 5 to 8.  Some 5 to 8 are in fact 3rd cousins, which is why it is important to look through them (though not all the many thousands of them on an individual basis!).

'Do I just have to be more patient?'

Emphatically yes, DNA is not a quick fix as many of us have discovered, but very rewarding when a long distant 'suspect' ancestor seems to be confirmed by DNA findings.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 November 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I've been having about 4-5 a week of the close relative matches but none this last week (now circa 300).  I seem to have quite a few still being added to the distant relatives grouping (under 20 cMs). I've not checked the total  number of matches for a while.

In relation to your original query about the 39 cM match:  I checked my matches and found that I had 10 in the range of 38-41 cMs. What is interesting is that they seem to be in a shared match group.  I've investigated the trees (checking them with sources and going further back where I could)  that they have and find that, although they share surnames with me, I haven't, as yet, found a direct ancestral link. Also, those that have reasonably sourced trees seem to come from an area that some of my father's ancestors came from in the mid-late 1700s. Unfortunately these are from areas of North Wales that were often using the patronymic naming system so I have to proceed carefully in tracing back in their trees.  Ironically, I've been able to identify quite a number of the 20-35 cMs via shared matches.

I've been mainly concerned with my closer matches so far - especially finding my great grandfather - so they'll have to wait in the queue.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 November 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I've just totted up my matches in Ancestry - 39,746.  (range 1100 - 6 cM)

In My Heritage, I have 7,522 (range 226 - 8 cM)

There are slight differences in the way that cMs are calculated by each site.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I've just totted up my matches in Ancestry - 39,746.  (range 1100 - 6 cM)

In My Heritage, I have 7,522 (range 226 - 8 cM)

There are slight differences in the way that cMs are calculated by each site.

Gadget

I have less than you at both sites.

192 4th to 6th cousins or closer, 22,660 matches ranging from 1st cousin, 723 cMs to many 6 cM matches at ancestry.
2297 matches at myheritage, 266.6 cMs, a previously unknown 2nd cousin, to 12.2 cM (smallest segment 6.2).

To put this into perspective, I have 53 confirmed matches at Ancestry, 25 of whom show as 4th to 6th cousins.

At myheritage, I have 4 confirmed matches. The first two are previously unknown 2nd cousin and her daughter.

But the most exciting one for me is someone who shares a relatively unusual surname with me. I share a relatively small 12.8 cm with her, but I am descended from Stephen Liversuch/Liversuch/Laversuch, potentially baptised in Chitterne, Wiltshire, in 1723; she is descended from Mary Liversuch/Leversidge baptised Chitterne in 1730, potentially Stephen's sister.

At ancestry I have a match descended from Mary, but branching off a few generations later.

The ancestry match shares with my paternal first cousin plus at least 2 other matches descended from Laversuch at a much later date, 3rd and 4th cousins to me.  So I am reasonably confident to take this branch back a generation or two. Without DNA evidence I would always be in doubt.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Update to my previous post.

'But the most exciting one for me is someone who shares a relatively unusual surname with me. I share a relatively small 12.8 cm with her, but I am descended from Stephen Liversedge/Liversuch/Laversuch, potentially baptised in Chitterne, Wiltshire, in 1723; she is descended from Mary Liversuch/Leversidge baptised Chitterne in 1730, potentially Stephen's sister.

At ancestry I have a match descended from Mary, but branching off a few generations later.'

Whoopee!

Today I found another match, descended from a different sibling, Elizabeth Leversidge baptised Chitterne 1725. A modest 11.8 cM match.

I just wish I could persuade some of my matches to upload elsewhere. Only the one match at myheritage which I can view in a chromosome browser.

Regards Margaret

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 17 November 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Good news, Margaret. I only have a few on more than one site too  :-\

I had another 4-6th cousin match today on Ancestry.  No tree but, from the shared matches, yet another to add to a huge group of descendants of my Pa(r)rish- Stokes line. They were very fecund  ;D

Gadget