Author Topic: 3rd - 5th cousins  (Read 3370 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd - 5th cousins
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Margaret.

As I was saying else-thread, I actually have four separate trees - one for each grandparent - and, inevitably, some are more completely researched than others. 

I don't know why she chose Annie from Kettering, but I've looked at Annie on the FS Tree and gone back a few generations, but still can't see any surnames I recognise, so am thinking it's probably a lost cause.

Because I don't have an account with MyHeritage, I can't contact any of my other matches and just have to wait to see if they contact me.  Hey ho  ;)

Having 4 different trees for your grandparents might complicate matters somewhat. Which tree do you attach yourself to at Ancestry? If you don't attach to any of them you will miss out on some of Ancestry's tools, and they provide us with so few useful ones. And your matches lose out as well.

You can contact matches without a subscription at myheritage and most if not all DNA sites (I don't know about 23andme). I don't have a subscription there, I can see trees, message people, etc.

I even have more than 250 people in my tree there by uploading a gedcom.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Margaret.

As I was saying else-thread, I actually have four separate trees - one for each grandparent - and, inevitably, some are more completely researched than others. 

I don't know why she chose Annie from Kettering, but I've looked at Annie on the FS Tree and gone back a few generations, but still can't see any surnames I recognise, so am thinking it's probably a lost cause.

Because I don't have an account with MyHeritage, I can't contact any of my other matches and just have to wait to see if they contact me.  Hey ho  ;)

Having 4 different trees for your grandparents might complicate matters somewhat. Which tree do you attach yourself to at Ancestry? If you don't attach to any of them you will miss out on some of Ancestry's tools, and they provide us with so few useful ones. And your matches lose out as well.

You can contact matches without a subscription at myheritage and most if not all DNA sites (I don't know about 23andme). I don't have a subscription there, I can see trees, message people, etc.

I even have more than 250 people in my tree there by uploading a gedcom.

Regards Margaret

On Ancestry it's linked to my maternal grandmother's Tree.

I'm sure I tried on MyHeritage to Contact someone and it said no, but I've just tried and it seems to let me now.   :o  Well, would you believe it?  :o

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 18:24 GMT (UK) »
STG, you say you've attached your DNA on ancestry to your grandmother's tree.  I'm hoping you've given your grandmother a daughter and added yourself as a daughter to her and you've attached the results to yourself.  If you've attached your DNA results to your grandmother then the estimated 3rd to 5th cousin matches will be your matches because you took the DNA test, but not necessarily along gm's line.

Hope that makes sense.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Just checked my [maternal] grandmother's tree and I'm the Home Person, leading back to my mother and then to her mother etc.

So that means the 3rd-5th cousin matches are to me, rather than granny, right?

STG

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
STG - right.

Be aware that by having your DNA attached to maternal granny's tree, you are possibly closing the door on contact being initiated by matches who don't recognise the surnames in that tree because they perhaps link to you through your paternal side or your maternal grandad.

On my computer I keep a very rambling tree which goes up, down and sideways, with spouses, their parents, grandparents, siblings etc and their progeny - you get the picture?  Quite ridiculous really.  It's also on anc as a private tree.  But from it I have extracted a bare bones direct ancestors only gedcom and that's on ancestry as a public tree with my own DNA results attached to me, the home person.  This tree has no sources so it's hopefully not too attractive to name collectors, but it means that any of my DNA matches can check my tree and hopefully spot a surname they recognise.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Jane, I've done the same as you, uploaded a bare(ish) bones tree.

STG If you only have your grandmother's tree attached to your DNA results you are missing out on three quarters of potential matches. You can look at other's trees for potential names and places, but others can't look at yours, will possibly disregard it, as Jane has said.

You won't automatically be put into DNA circles with three quarters of your matches, neither will you get shared ancestor hints for them.

Limited tools I admit, but useful at times to pick up quickly where your matches match with you!

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I'm going to have to make myself a "STG's DNA Tree" doesn't it?  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I do the same - i.e a simple direct line tree linked to my DNA results. That way I get the links that I need.

My big, rambling tree(s) that hold all relations and their partners and children  that' I've found, I keep on my 'genealogy' computer.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 November 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Margaret, Gadget - seems like there are a few of us out there  ;D ;D ;D ;D
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY