Author Topic: All Branches on the Same Family Tree?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline John Laidler

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Books: Two Go to Spain:   https://t.co/6mpWVfNlqC Two Go to Italy: https://t.co/7cUOHo4jSl
    • View Profile
All Branches on the Same Family Tree?
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, newbie here and my first post.  ;D
I've just started using ancestry.co.uk this week and fairly quickly gone back on my father's side of the family to the 1700's. I need to check what I've done as there are some obvious discrepancies on things like places of birth but most of what I've found seems credible and also very interesting.
However, I also want to look my mother's side of the family.
My first question is should I start a new family tree or just add to the one I've already got on my father's side? My concern is I find navigating around the family tree when it is on screen a bit clunky with the Ancestry website.
My second question is if I start a new family tree for my mother's side can it be easily combined with the other at a later date?
Many thanks in anticipation of suggestions for the best way forward.   :)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: All Branches on the Same Family Tree?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
You've either been working very hard, or you have accepted as gospel truth things that other people have said. I'm trying to be helpful, but research the concept of genealogy proof standards. Every couple of hours on this forum somebody comments about the absolute rubbish on ancestry, such as people giving birth aged 150.  Just because somebody else with an ancestry account has said something, it doesn't mean that it's true. You either had to be there or have substantial documentary evidence.   I say again that I am only trying to be helpful and constructive.

Martin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and this addictive hobby.

When you say you've got back to the 1700s in a few days, how have you done that? To be really sure that you are correct and following the right branch you need to check each piece of information yourself before you add it, as one wrong bit will throw your whole tree out. Don't just accept the hints on Ancestry or rely on other people's trees - check for yourself - find births, baptisms, census records, marriages, deaths. This may mean buying certificates. Use the free sites as well as they are a wealth of information.

Please don't rush things at this stage, although you are obviously keen to find as much as possible. By taking your time and working steadily backwards, generation by generation you will be certain that your tree is correct. You have already mentioned discrepancies - check those out before you go any further. Just because it is on several tree on Ancestry doesn't mean it must be right, it just means someone has added it and everyone else has copied it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
I have to second Mart 'n' Al''s caveats about 'borrowing' from trees on on-line sites. Personally I never include anything in my own trees unless there is documentary proof linking it to the family.

I have separate trees for my parents' families, I sometimes wish I had separated them into g'parents families thereby having four trees rather than two.

Good luck with your research but do check and verify everything, preferably with different sources.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

I echo everything that has been said, and I have created four trees (none of them on-line) for my grandparents' families, and that works for me.

ADDED:  I should also have said that if you need help, please come back to us.  We are only too willing to offer advice and guidance.   ;)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I echo what Martin and Groom have said.

On the separate tree question though, because my parents and their parents came from such large families, I decided to make a separate tree for each grandparent, and am very glad I did because otherwise it would have been soooooooooo wide that I would have had to spend my days by madly scrolling the screen from side to side to try to see who's who.

I see BumbleB and I have the same idea!

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline John Laidler

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Books: Two Go to Spain:   https://t.co/6mpWVfNlqC Two Go to Italy: https://t.co/7cUOHo4jSl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the very quick replies. It looks like starting two separate trees is probably the best way forward.
I am very aware I need to double check everything :) and I've just sent away for my Grandfather's wedding certificate and will use that as a starting point to trace back properly. However, I did find remarkable correlation with the suggested hints, same name, DOB, address, names of children etc. I guess because I have a reasonably unusual surname it may be a bit easier but of course there could be cousins with the same name born close together which will be traps for the unwary and inexperienced people like me.  :)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
You may find reading  this thread useful, it welcomes another newcomer and includes lots of helpful advice
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »

On the separate tree question though, because my parents and their parents came from such large families, I decided to make a separate tree for each grandparent, and am very glad I did because otherwise it would have been soooooooooo wide that I would have had to spend my days by madly scrolling the screen from side to side to try to see who's who.

I wish I'd made mine separate.
Got first family tree software a long time ago  when my hand drawn tree just went back to great grandparents on both sides. Made the mistake of putting both maternal and paternal lines on one tree.
Then started on OH's tree. Made the second mistake of combining it with mine. In the ensuing twenty plus years it's grown in all directions and got quite out of hand. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott